Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

S. Sharples, RFA (TF)

UnionJack

Hello,

Just wondered if anyone has information about S. Sharples. Commisiioned into the Royal Field Artillery in 1912. Made full Lt. in 1914.

West Lancashire RFA based at Preston, later Field Ambulance.

Anything would be appreciated, I don't even have a Christian name for him.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a service file at Kew for a Captain S Sharples who served from 1912 to 1923,the only officer with a single name S in both WO339 and WO374. This may or may not be your man as we can't see from the Index what his unit was. No reason why he shouldn't have made Captain in that period.File number WO374/61588. Not digital. I will look this week,subject to time.

Do you mean that he later served in a Field Amb,or went there for treatment ? I found no Medal Card in the Ancestry UK database,but there might be a copy on the NA Discovery database.

He was commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant in 11th Lancs Battery, 2nd West Lancs Brigade, RFA TF on 29 May 1912 and was mobilized on 29 August 1914. In 1915 he was serving as Orderly Officer, 2nd West Lancs Brigade, RFA TF. In the June 1916 Army List he is listed as a Captain (effective 1 April 1915) in the second line of the Brigade. In the November 1918 Army List he is listed as a Captain (date of rank 1 April 1915), Territorial Force Reserve, in the 2nd West Lancs Brigade, RFA TF. I would guess that his service papers are the ones mentioned by sotonmate in WO 374.

Dick Flory

Thanks very much chaps, interesting and helpful stuff.

A friend had already lookd him up in an Army List and told me he was moved to serving with a Field Ambulance.

UJ

The look up will have to wait,I was scheduled to attend at Kew on Tuesday but they were closed, according to my attempt to pre-order of documents.

Okay thank you, I'm not in a hurry and am grateful for anything.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the gist of this officer's service file and need your e-mail by PM to send it.

Excellent! Just sent.