Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Herefordshire- Great War places of interest to visit?

David_Blanchard

Next Friday I will be on holiday near Hereford for a week- any ideas of places to visit with a Great War interest?

Regimental museum in Worcester?

David

There's the Herefordshire light infantry museum. A nice little collection - you have to arrange an appointment but it's worth a visit.

I thought there might be a museum in Hereford- thanks for the information.

David

I was planning to visit Malvern as well en route to Worcester.

Thanks for your suggestions

David

I don't know if there's anything still to see, but there was a munitions factory in Rotherwas, just south-east of Hereford http://www.francisfrith.com/rotherwas-industrial-estate/

If you go into the cathedral, do have a look at the Mappa Mundi, even though it is about 600 years too early to be relevant to the Great War ;)

And if you get out as far as Pembridge, there's a brilliant view from the church hilltop and a damn good cider farm nearby (Dunkerton's) - and this is someone from Somerset telling you! ;)

Worcesters Regimental Museum in Foregate Street near Shirehall is worth a visit.......Worcester Cathedral has some lovely stained glass windows in memory of Worcester Regiment and local men who served...........and many other points of Great War interest to do with the Regiment, you could spend easily 2 to 3 hrs here, if time allows nip down to the watergate at riverside and see the historical flood level marks and the outline of a sturgeon chipped into the wall( town side of the gate ) after the floods receeded over 100 years ago.... twenty minutes walk north of the town centre is Gheluvelt park opened by Earl Haig , with a recently built memorial to those Worcesters lost in the counter attack at Gheluveld.......not my cup of tea though!...... Right at the North end of the park is an interesting entrance gate with plaques attached to the walls........in worcester guildhall hidden behind many wooden doors are hundreds of names of city men who served with poignant black crosses next to those who didn't,t return and in St Johnd churchyard.......just on the way in from Hereford, is the grave and memorial to Geoffrey Studdart Kennedy....Woodbine Willie.........Colin

Hello Colin,

Thanks very much for your advice. The cathedral at Worcester I think will be a definite.

David

And of course from another war ....... A three minute walk from the Cathedral down to Sidbury takes you to the Commandery used as a hospital in the civil war another fine building! ......... I don't work for the tourist board!!!!!! colin

I don't know if there's anything still to see, but there was a munitions factory in Rotherwas, just south-east of Hereford http://www.francisfrith.com/rotherwas-industrial-estate/

There isn't much there nowadays, at least nothing that's accessible. On the main road through what was the factory, heading out of Hereford you can see a pillbox and a little further on a railway truck on your left (not sure if they are WW1 or WW2 vintage). Further on towards Holme Lacy is an artillery piece on your right, but while this is on the roadside it's on private property.

Speaking of Rotherwas, an engine that was used (I think) to pump water in the event of a fire, has been rebuilt and housed in a special building with other rotherwas paraphernalia at the Hereford water works museum, which is worth a visit if you like big engines!

There are some very interesting WW1 memorials inside Hereford Cathedral.

Not WW1, but go to St Martin's Church (corner of the A49 Ross Road and Holme Lacy Road) and have a walk around the outside. It includes the SAS graveyard. The SAS camp was behind houses (behind the Broad Leys pub, from the church) until just a few years ago.

Go and see the name of Gabriel Townsend on the village war memorial at Little Birch, between Hereford and Ross. My wife's great uncle. It never fails to astonish me how many names are on the village memorials in that area (some very nice ones, too) considering how under-populated it is now.

. It never fails to astonish me how many names are on the village memorials in that area (some very nice ones, too) considering how under-populated it is now.

Don't forget how labour intensive agriculture still was in those days so that every farm (smaller and more numerous then) had many farm hands. I just have to look at the numerous old oast and brew houses (where the farms made beer for their labourers) and the number of nice dwellings with names like "the old school house"round were I live to realise how many people used to live in the country side then. When I did a contract for Herefordshire council some years ago I learnt that the county is now the most thinly populated in England but it's farmers are amongst the most productive.

Thanks again. We will be staying in a village called Canon Pyon between Hereford and Leominister.

David

Just on the other side of Leominster are two very nice National Trust properties - Berrington Hall and Croft Castle (who sell the best flapjacks IMHO). The then owners of Berrington lost some of their sons in the Great War and the hall has a small collection of uniforms on display in one of the bedrooms.

Might also be worth visiting Leominster Priory church to see if there are any WW1 commemorations?

Thanks again. We will be staying in a village called Canon Pyon between Hereford and Leominister.

David

Just drive along the A49 over Dinmore Hill and turn right at the first major roundabout you come to for Worcester, as I said about 30 minutish (unless you get stuck behind a tractor) The Minster in Leominster is a nice church to visit also. Ludlow may also be worth a visit

Just on the other side of Leominster are two very nice National Trust properties - Berrington Hall and Croft Castle (who sell the best flapjacks IMHO). The then owners of Berrington lost some of their sons in the Great War and the hall has a small collection of uniforms on display in one of the bedrooms.

Might also be worth visiting Leominster Priory church to see if there are any WW1 commemorations?

Berrington was originally home to a sailor who was prominent in one of the earlier World Wars - Admiral Rodney - who calculated that unless something was done Britain's warship yards would begin to run out of oak sometime around 1914 and went around the countryside planting acorns to ensure that in a hundred and fifty years time the RN would still have ships of the line

David

Ah, lovely. We pass through it every year on our way to Presteigne and it's not far from Pembridge (as previously recommended).

Again not WW1, but the church at Shobdon is also worth a look - plain on the outside, but like a mad wedding-cake inside.

Presteigne was the birthplace of Fred Griffiths, Welsh association footballer (and later Millwall, Tottenham Hotspur etc) KIA 30 October 1917, but for some reason (probably because he hadn't lived there for a while?) he's not on the local memorial: http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Radnorshire/Presteigne.html