Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Inherited Medals

StAubyns

I have a set of medals that belonged to my mothers step father.

They are as follows

Queens South Africa medal with bars To 12998 Gnr W Ward 20th Bty RFA

South Africa 1902

Orange Free State

Cape Colony

1914/15 Star to 12998 Sjt W Ward RFA

BWM & Victory Medal to 12298 Sjt W Ward RA

GSM? with bars to 1574 L.Cpl W Ward MFP

Iraq

NW Persia

It as always been said in the family that he ended his WW1 service as RSM but I do not know this for a fact

The variation in his orignal army no is not a typing error on my part. Why the change from 12998 to 12298?

What is MFP on the GSM?

Any help or comments would be appreciated.

Geoff Stockdale

Guest Ian Bowbrick

MFP - Military Police on foot as opposed to on a horse ie mounted

The number difference looks like an official error.

A very nice entitlement. You should be looking to insure this lot for £200 IMHO.

Ian

MFP - Military foot police (see abbreviations page on the long, long trail ....)

The QSA & 1914~15 star "Trio" to the Royal Field Artillery are by Collecting standards a Reasonably "Common" combination,however the General Service Medal with "NW Persia" & "Iraq" clasps NAMED to the Military Foot Police Would be something of a Rarity & would give an otherwise average QSA & trio group somewhat of a boost!A very nice Group!! :)

Many thanks for the information - not that these are for sale! I have just had a quick look on Google for some info on the MFP but there is nothing after 1918 until 1945. Any ideas where to look?

I have two other single BWM's which are my 2 respective Grandfathers

20050 Pte W Stockdale Notts & Derby regiment

K14253 E Fletcher STO1 RN

I have looked for the medal cards for all 3 but cant get a hit with any of them

Geoff Stockdale

It might be worth your while contacting the Regimental Museum of The Corps of Royal Military Police,I would not imagine they had that many Men serving in the Middle Eastern {Mesopotamian}Campaigns & may be able to give advice.

Hello Geoff,

E Fletcher was a Stoker with the Royal Navy. The Medal Cards only show members of the Army. The National Archives website explains how to find service records for members of the Navy.

W Stockdale should appear, but I don't think all the cards for the letter 'S' are online yet.

Regards

Gavin

It might be worth your while contacting the Regimental Museum of The Corps of Royal Military Police

The RMP Museum doesn't hold records of the men who served with them. Although they may have information there of where the RMP/CMP etc have served (I know they had a lot of paperwork in archives in '85) they are very reluctant to share it.

Thanks everyone for the information, but MFP info seems very limited. All I can find are references to "noperforce" that he must have served with to qualify for the NW Persia clasp. Can anyone suggest any reading? if the RMP museum cant or wont provide info is there anywhere else worth looking?

There seems to be more questions than answers (where have I heard that before?)

As to Ernest Fletcher, Stoker, all I have is that he served on the Royal Yacht Victoria and Albert and was still in the navy in 1938 in Portsmouth

Walter Stockdale is just as vague - Sherwood Forester served in the Dardanelles and saw active service on the Western Front, was gassed and invalided out. Could be 9th Battalion?

regards

Geoff stockdale