Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Staying in or near Ypres. Any recommendations?

Leighfield

Hi all

I'm hoping (with a mate and our wives) to spend a weekend in and around Ypres early in December.

Can anyone recommend a suitable hotel/B+B close to Ypres centre (shops and attractions for the 'girls'), that offers a degree of comfort/warm hospitality at 'reasonable' rates.

I've spotted Novotel & Ariane on the Web. What are they like??. Any other suggestions??.

Regards and thanks

Andy

I find the Ariane very agreable.

If you do a search on Ariane within the Forum you'll find many comments on hotels in Ieper, but here is one to start with! I put my own comments in there.

Gwyn (A female who doesn't 'do' shops.)

Hi all

I'm hoping (with a mate and our wives) to spend a weekend in and around Ypres early in December.

Can anyone recommend a suitable hotel/B+B close to Ypres centre (shops and attractions for the 'girls'), that offers a degree of comfort/warm hospitality at 'reasonable' rates.

I've spotted Novotel & Ariane on the Web. What are they like??. Any other suggestions??.

Regards and thanks

Andy

There are some suitable places on my website you can try

Cheers

Ryan

I'll give another vote for the Ariane. Good hotel. Excellent breakfast. Central. Free parking. And very reasonablly priced for a hotel of this quality.

Personnally I wouldnt stay anywhere else in Ieper.

The "girl" in my life is very happy to tour the battlefields and look at the gravestones and doesnt need/want lots of retail therapy. She does like a couple of hours at Cite Europe at Calais, though - but then so do I.

John

Many thanks all for your prompt feedback. Araiane looks good.

My apologies to our female forum members (and indeed my wife) for the clumsy comments. My 'for the girls' comment does seem somewhat sexist. It's just that my desire (planned itinery) for a visit to Ypres doesn't quite meet with my wifes expectations for a relaxing weekend. I'm hoping to whet her appetite with the opportunity for a mix of retail therapy also.

Regards and many thanks to you all

Andy

• 3 weeks later...

I would recommend Varlet Farm, near Poelkappelle, run by one of the Pals Charlotte Cardoen-Descamps. Easily accessible from Ypres. Can't recommend it highly enough.

I would recommend Varlet Farm, near Poelkappelle, run by one of the Pals Charlotte Cardoen-Descamps. Easily accessible from Ypres. Can't recommend it highly enough.

Got to go with Matt, but Varlet farm is not really close to Ieper (5 miles at a guess), but don't let that put you off!

Many thanks all for the recommendations

Looks like we'll be opting for the Ariane on this occasion. Found their website and it looks very nice indeed. I'll certainly check out Varlet Farm though

Thanks again

Andy

I'd recommend the Kasteellhof at Hooge every time!

Can't beat having mine-craters, bunkers and (renovated) trenches almost outide your window, the best war museum (with bar!) in the Salient a few yards away and a large and interesting CWGC cemetery just across the road. All this combined with quiet ,wooded surroundings (a way back from the Menin Road, and not too near the Bellewaerde Fun park) and quite classy, traditionaly designed rooms, all at a reasonable cost, I don't think it can be beat.

(I've always found the Ariane a little too "aseptic" for my liking - no character and quite pricey).

Dave.