Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal card notation Walter BUNTING 37544 Northumberland Fusiliers

dravin

I wonder if anyone might be able to tell me the meaning of a notation on a medal card for Walter BUNTING

Its the part written on the correspondence section

I would like to know what the emblem mentioned was

post-41439-0-38108700-1396622171_thumb.j

• Admin

Hi Dravin

It reads:

OC No 11 (Res[erve]) Bn MGC forwards nom[inal] roll of individuals entitled to the Emblem. 28.1.20.

Was he still in the Army after the war?

Glen

"Officer Commanding(O.C.) No.11(Reserve)Battalion, Machine Gun Corps forwards Nominal Roll of individuals entitled to the emblem 28/1/20".

Not an easy one I'm afraid, but a 'nominal roll' suggests a collective item for those with wartime service - but apart from the "War & Victory" Ribbons, I can't say. Although he would have already been wearing his M.M. Ribbon, which was Gazetted 17/12/17.

Guest bootnecksbs

Hi, Dravin,

I'm not 100% certain, but I beleive it may refer the mention in despatches emblem ,the bronze Spray of Oak leaves .

The Emblems were normal worn over the Victory Medal ribbon in bar form when attached to a uniform.

I am working on The War Diaries Project and I seem to remember this being mentioned somewhere.

Hope it helps

Max

Hi, Dravin,

I'm not 100% certain, but I beleive it may refer the mention in despatches emblem ,the bronze Spray of Oak leaves .

The Emblems were normal worn over the Victory Medal ribbon in bar form when attached to a uniform.

I am working on The War Diaries Project and I seem to remember this being mentioned somewhere.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=209402

Hope it helps

Max

However Walter Bunting wasn't a "Mentioned in Despatches" and therefore not entitled to it. The MID emblems themselves were being issued from April 1920, but the War & Victory weren't issued until November 1920

Thanks for the replies thus far, much appreciated

To SPOF , I am not aware if he was or wasn't still in the Army at the end of the war, this is an enquiry from someone researching a memorial and names thereon

To Graham, I must be missing a trick here as I did not see or find mention of an MM for him, where are you finding it? i tried the Gazettes but they have "improved" it , it seems a popular sport at present, revamping web sites, Ancestry, findmypast, the National Archives and now the Gazettes (I do wish they would leave the b**y things alone)

To BOOTNECKSBS thanks for the thought but so far have not found an MID for him

Now my memory may be faulty (it has been known :-) but I seem to recall there was an MGC badge, akin to the marksman badge, a skill badge if you will, might it be that which is the emblem referred to?

(or is my memory at fault again)

Military Medal London Gazette 14 December 1917 (issue 30431, page 13188) followed by Edinburgh Gazette on 19 December. His service records have survived and are on ancestry. MM awarded for "bravery in the field of France". Nothing in there about a Mention in Dispatches or anything else that helps to explain the "emblem".

Much appreciated woollamc

I am definitely not having a good day, I took the enquiry earlier and for once did not check for his service record, and when I found the Gazettes changed I was obviously not thinking straight, no wonder I failed to find him, so thank you for the page much appreciated

Military Medal London Gazette 14 December 1917 (issue 30431, page 13188) followed by Edinburgh Gazette on 19 December. His service records have survived and are on ancestry. MM awarded for "bravery in the field of France". Nothing in there about a Mention in Dispatches or anything else that helps to explain the "emblem".