Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Webley question

deadin

I know that Webley did some strange assembling in 1915 with the Mark *'s and **'s. It seems many of these variations on the Mark V frame. Did they ever do anything with the Mark VI frame? I ran across a Mark VI with a Mark III barrel (4"?). I didn't check the cylinder other than to notice it has been shaved. The owner wants $400 USD which I think is just a bit steep for a shaved parts gun, however I do need to get some opinions if there is a chance it is legitimate.

Also, I recently picked up a book "The Webley Service Revolver" by Robert Maze. It seems well researched and written, but there a a couple of things in it that go against what I have understood about the Webley story. Is he a reliable source? (One of the questions I have concerns the WW2 .38, but, as I was reminded earlier, these are off topic for this board..... :blush:

Mark VI with a Mark III barrel (4"?).

Webley did produce a Mark VI revolver with a Mark V 4 inch barrel, see photo attached ( serial number range - 450000 to 454000 ), however, this was after WW1, in the early 1920s for use by the Royal Irish Constabulary and others.

Other Mark VI 4 inch barrel models were supplied to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police in the early 1930s, and in March 1935 some 200 Webley Mark VI revolvers with 4 inch barrels were supplied to the South Africans, all these were in the serial range 453000 to 454000.

Firstly, I would check the revolver carefully to see if it has any Royal Irish Constabulary or Royal Canadian Mounted Police or South African markings, and if its serial number falls in the range 450000 to 454000, if so, it is worth a lot more than $400, particularly if there are any RCMP markings.

If the revolver is just a standard Mark VI Service Revolver to which someone has just fitted an earlier 4 inch barrel, then it is a mismatched revolver, and it is your decision if it is worth $400, and depending on its condition it may well be ?

As to Robert Maze's book, I have that book in my book collection, and it has some nice Webley photos and some information. If however, you are really interested in the Webley revolver, you need to buy a good Webley reference book, either ' The Webley Story ' by William Chipchase Dowell or ' Webley Revolver ' by Gordon Bruce and Christian Reinhart, I have both, and personally I prefer the Bruce & Reinhart book. If and when you get either of those Webley reference books, you will see the enormous difference between those 2 quality Webley reference books and the R. Maze book.

Regards,

LF

The photo is c/o ' Webley Revolvers ' by Bruce & Reinhart.

post-63666-0-58408900-1396573019_thumb.j

LF,

Thanks for the information. The picture is the same as the one I was looking at except the barrel is marked "Mark III" instead of "Mark VI".

It is probably a parts gun, but if I can get him down to $300USD, I may pick it up.......

I checked the books you recommended......GASP! Bruce & Reinhart, 1 available used, $432,50USD plus shipping. Dowell, new $250USD, used $150USD none available.

(I did find a listing for Dowell as a reprint out of Canada for $75 plus shipping. Also found a listing for a Dowell for only $1899.00USD....plus 3.99 shipping)

I checked the books you recommended......GASP! Bruce & Reinhart, 1 available used, $432,50USD plus shipping. Dowell, new $250USD, used $150USD none available.

(I did find a listing for Dowell as a reprint out of Canada for $75 plus shipping. Also found a listing for a Dowell for only $1899.00USD....plus 3.99 shipping)

These are not paperbacks as with Maze's book, these are hardbound books, are quite large, and they are not cheap.

In my opinion, the Bruce & Reinhart version is a better more up to date book, and a good quality used version will do just as well.

Which part of the world are you in ?

Regards,

LF

West coast, United States.... Ocean Shores, Washington.

If I see either of these books being offered at a reasonable price in the U.S.A., I shall send you a PM.

Regards,

LF