Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identification of a Brocton Camp mascot/dog.

Bingo794

I am wondering if anyone can shed any light on this little dog which appears very regularly on photographs from Brocton Camp.

It would seem that the dog was linked to the 9th (Training) Battalion, Lincs and possibly to the 7th & 8th Lincolnshire.

A name would be good start.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

No.18636 Cpl. John Mantle Stow 8/Lincs was a great lover of animals and was always pictured with them during the war and after.

Dog2_zpscdd627d1.jpg

Dog1a_zps5d6290aa.jpg

Richard

Yeah, looks to have a bit of Border Collie about him/her.

Seems to have been a popular pooch for photos, I know they were considered to be lucky to be photographed with.

John Stow (left on the pair of soldiers pic) was a big rough steelworker and later, due to his injuries, became a farmer.

I'd love to know if anyone has other info on the dog and if there any other photos out there the forum have.

RW

• 2 weeks later...

Richard

The photo below I think shows the same dog, and I think the soldier is sat on the same log as the dog is in your photograph. I cannot be definite about the men in this picture but I believe them to be 8th Battalion, and one of them possibly 12501 Walter Kitchen (MIC has Kitchin) who was captured at Loos. His brother George was killed a few weeks later only a few miles away fighting with the 1/5th Lincolnshire's.

post-104377-0-15702700-1397121952_thumb.

Brilliant stuff, Simon.

I think you are right about the post/log. It even has the same marks on the front. Wild!

Must have been a regular spot for the lads and the dog to have pics done.

I see they were from Northorpe, near Kirton Lindsey.

If he was captured at Loos, he may have gone along to the same camp as another couple of 8/Lincs lads I have been looking into. Probably captured at the Battle for Hill 70 by the 18th Infantry Regt.

POW in Camp 2, Munster, possibly with a few other 8th lads.

R

Hello Richard

Glad it was of interest. Not sure which camp Walter ended up in but lots of 8th Lincoln's were captured at Loos' and as you say some ended up at Munster. Somewhere I have list of a dozen or so 8th Lincs men giving their camps, but gawd knows where I have put it. Attached another pic showing the same dog, this time with a Notts and Derbys lad, who was from North Lincolnshire called Joseph Dobbs, sadly killed in 1916.

post-104377-0-61604400-1397204276_thumb.

Yes the Kitchen's were from Northorpe as you state

Charles Spowage wouldn't have been one of them, would he?

Who'd have thought it, this little old pooch has found fame after he/she has likely been dead for nigh a hundred years. Looks a grand little dog.

R

Richard

Yes nice for the dog, bet he got all manner of treats from the soldiers and was spoilt rotten, although I suppose he may have been the photographers dog.

Not seen the name Spowage on the lists of 8th Lincs pows from Loos that I have managed to locate. Names I do have are J Garner, A Ennifer, H Hindley, E Tuplin, S Watkins, T Norton, C W Clarke (Munster), W Kitchen. Also five lads from Barnetby area who were POWs, Tweed, F Robinson, Worrall, Grant and Petty. Frank Popplewell and Guerney from Ashby.

Have more detail on them and their camps somewhere but could only find a page a notes.

Si

A little bit 'odd' that the dogs name has never appeared on the back of a photo, especially as he was a well known favorite, perhaps the dog belonged to the photographer.

As the dog appears to be a 'border' collie, if he belonged to me I would have called him or her KOSBIE to give him a regimental association consistent with his ancestry.

Perhaps I have had too much coffee this morning

khaki

Richard

Yes nice for the dog, bet he got all manner of treats from the soldiers and was spoilt rotten, although I suppose he may have been the photographers dog.

Not seen the name Spowage on the lists of 8th Lincs pows from Loos that I have managed to locate. Names I do have are J Garner, A Ennifer, H Hindley, E Tuplin, S Watkins, T Norton, C W Clarke (Munster), W Kitchen. Also five lads from Barnetby area who were POWs, Tweed, F Robinson, Worrall, Grant and Petty. Frank Popplewell and Guerney from Ashby.

Have more detail on them and their camps somewhere but could only find a page a notes.

Si

Nice one, Si.

I recognise a few of the names there and the ones from Barnetby, too. Were they all 8th Lincs?

The dog would have been spoiled, if John Mantle Stow had anything to do with it. He loved animals, in fact he is in another photo from (we think) Brocton holding a cat. As a kid he was once taken by the Police for steeling and riding off on a horse. For which he was sent to a bad lads school in Hull that was run by the navy and was based on a ship. Once invalided out of the army in November,1918 he always had horses, chickens and dogs on his smallholding. Without his leg, he could not carry on as a steelworker.

Richard

A little bit 'odd' that the dogs name has never appeared on the back of a photo, especially as he was a well known favorite, perhaps the dog belonged to the photographer.

As the dog appears to be a 'border' collie, if he belonged to me I would have called him or her KOSBIE to give him a regimental association consistent with his ancestry.

Perhaps I have had too much coffee this morning

khaki

John Stow wrote in pencil on the back of the photo, 'How do you like my pals, we are going out together', Probably out to France. No names, however.

His mate was a chap from Scunthorpe. Supposedly, a chap named Simpson from Fox Street, Crosby. The name appears in the Crosby book of men serving during WW1 for Fox Street where both men lived.

There is a story in the family that John lost his leg after an attack they were in was repelled and having got back to their trench, John saw that one of his friends (Simpson, so I am led to believe by John's Daughter) and he went out into the shelling to bring him back. He succeeded, however, he was hit in the lower back, neck and leg. The scars were seen by his daughter later in life.

John was left on a pile of bodies until a passing soldier saw movement and rescued him. He lost his leg above the knee.

After the war he cycled for a hobby, regularly biking to Newark from Wooton,

Kosbie? :thumbsup:

Mmmm, yes........Poacher would be my choice :hypocrite:

Richard