Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1960 cine film of Netley Hospital and Chelsea Pensioners

jgreen

That's a lovely bit of film - it must be very rare footage. I'm sure someone with a good grasp of medals could make something of those worn by the Chelsea Pensioners, but the men are certainly old enough to be veterans of both the Great War and the Boer War which might account for why they are wearing so many. Perhaps they were all patients at Netley at some former time and the visit was one arranged especially for them to return there to have a look around.

Sue

That's amazing. I have read about Netley, and visited occasionally, but the views of the hospital really bring it to life.

Keith

• Admin

What a wonderful film.

I've added a link to the Medals sub-forum so the experts can come along and tell us what the other medals are.

Glen

What an interesting bit of film; Nettley Hospital is fascinating and simply huge - my grandfather (see avatar) was a patient there when the Armistice was signed; he was blind for quite a few days, after being gassed late October 1918 (his third wound). On just the one viewing I can see that several of the men have the Queen's South Africa medal before a WW1 trio, whilst others have WW1 medals plus WW2 War Medal.

William

Unique footage..thank you for posting this.