Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

World War One Songs

Gillian0511

I'm just at the beginning of helping to put a ww1 performance project together and I am wondering if anyone knows what the rallying/marching songs of the day were back in 1914-1918?

You could look out for a copy of John Brophy & Eric Partridge's The Long Trail - What the British Soldier sang and said in 1914-1918. My copy was published in 1965, but it's been re-printed several times since then. There's a section on Music Hall songs popular with the troops, as well as parodies of them that were also popular.

Interestingly, one sentence says " Tipperary, good tune though it was, received too hearty a welcome. Before the end of 1914, although civilians retained their affection for it, the New Armies were nauseated. Attempts to start it were often howled down and whistled down."

Gareth

Keep right on to the end of the road by Harry Lauder.

Watch a DVD of 'Oh What a Lovely War'. The songs and the renditions are absolutely great. You don't need any more. My favourite being the French language Craonne (sorry - spelling?). Poignant to say the least.

• Admin

Don't forget the ubiquitous 'Mademoiselle from Armentieres'. There are various versions suitable for the public on You Tube.

• 1 month later...

Here's a few titles from 'Songs of Battle: The Ralph Hunter Choir"

My Buddy

It's a Long, Long Way to Tipperary

Pack Up Your Troubles in Your Old Kit Bag

Over There

I used to listen to this record day and night, marching around the family carpet.

Great project. Best of luck on it.

"When This Bloody War is Over" is a 2001 compilation of about a hundred songs by Max Arthur. paperback edition 2008.

• 2 weeks later...