Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Thomas Ashton

dorrie

I have already psoted a topic regarding Thomas Ashton in the soldiers Forum. Was it practice to issue medals according to the first unit a soldier joined up with?Thomas was obviously in the ASc and his medals have that on the edge. It also has his original number. Sometime before his death Thomas transferred to the Lincs regiment (8th battalion) which he was in at the time of his death 20/4/1917.

Hope somebody can help

Dorrie

Dorrie,

I think you will find that the medals will be inscribed with the details of his rank and unit at the time he qualified for the award.

Regards

Steve Chilton

PS - I could be wrong and if I am then I will be corrected in very quick order......

Thanks Steve his Victory Medal states on the edge that he was a driver in the ASC. Am I right in thinking that the Victory Medal was issued in 1919 in which case Thomas Ashton would hev qualified for it as a member of the 8Th lincs. It could be that I am barking up the wrong tree, so I am hoping somebody can put me right!!!

Dorrie

British War Medals and Victory Medals are named to the regiment in which the man first entered a theater of war. The rank is the highest rank held in a theater of war. Regards. Dick Flory

Thanks Dick

Could you tell me what the T2 infront of his regimental number means. His number isT2/11248

Thanks

Dorrie