Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mystery Blue Cord Mounted Ribbon - Any Ideas?

RussT

• Admin

A work colleague has in his possession a box of bits and bobs from his Great Grandfather, who served in the 15th Royal Scots.

The box contains a number of WW1 items including his DCM, VM and BWM medals and ribbons. There are also some badges from around this time e.g. a DCM League badge.

There is one item that is a complete mystery. It is a blue-coloured cord mounted ribbon on a pinned bar, with an inscription on the back which includes THE MARSHAL - see images of front and back below. It is about 1" wide.

Anyone have any ideas what it might be?

post-71872-0-40092600-1396180047_thumb.j

post-71872-0-76020000-1396180058_thumb.j

I think that the inscription has nothing to do with the ribbon - the word P(atent) App(lied) For suggests that The Marshal is the name of a device for mounting ribbons - any ribbon.

Khedive's Star?

Royal Humane Society medal?

Could be for a Metropolitan Police Jubilee Medal 1887/97. (or equivalent Police Ambulance etc)

What is the width of the ribbon?

Sepoy

I'll agree with Gareth. The RHS Life Saving Medal was worn on the opposite side of the chest (right hand side) as a single ribbon; the Bronze Award is a plain blue ribbon. And the name on the back is the manufacturer of the mounting.

A work colleague has in his possession a box of bits and bobs from his Great Grandfather, who served in the 15th Royal Scots.

The box contains a number of WW1 items including his DCM, VM and BWM medals and ribbons. There are also some badges from around this time e.g. a DCM League badge.

What is his Great Grandfather's name? If he was entitled to a Royal Humane Society award, the RHS Medal rolls can be checked.

Sepoy

• Admin

Many thanks to all for the suggestions

His name was Alexander Ramsbottom - I have all the readily accessible information as to his GW military service.

How would I go about checking the RHS rolls please?

As noted in #1, it is approx. 1" wide (i.e. the horizontal direction in the image in #1), so the other dimension can be approximated by scaling from that - I make it about 1/2".

Regards

Russ

• Admin

Sepoy

Thanks for the link. No sign of him in those rolls - although the exploits of some of the awardees do make for fascinating reading.

Regards

Russ