Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help Interpreting MIC

rhimsl

I need some help intepreting some entries on an MIC. The card is different than others I have seen, in more detail. Please see attached document.

My questions are:

1. In the "Action taken" section what does the entry "CLZ" refer to?

2. In the "Theatre of War" section does the entry "(1) France" indicate that is he only theatre he was in or would they list others (ex. Gallipoli) if he was in that theatre as well?

3. The "Qulifying Date", does that mean the date he landed in France or left England?

Thanks for any and all help in advance!

Robert

post-23-1097512415.jpg

Hello Robert

1) CLZ refers to Class Z Reserve. It basically means he was discharged to the reserve at the end of hostilities.

2) This refers to the first theatre of war served in. Any subsequent theatre would not be mentioned

3) I believe this is usually the disembarkation date.

Regards

Gavin

Item 3 in Gavins post refers specifically to date of embarkation and subsequent eligibility to the 14-15 Star shown on MIC

Not necessarily!

There are several threads on this subject - it ws different for one Regt to the next. I know for a fact that for 1 Bn Dorsets it shows the date they disembarked in Le Havre, though this was in 1914.

Regards

Steve

So what do you guys think, is it embarkation or disembarkation? The reason I'm asking is because I'm trying to narrow down which Field Company or Signal Company he was with. If it is embarkation I can narrow it down to 3 FC's and 1 SC, if it is disembarkation I can only narrow it down to 6 FC's and 2 SC's.

Thanks again,

Robert

I'm trying to narrow down which Field Company or Signal Company he was with. If it is embarkation I can narrow it down to 3 FC's and 1 SC, if it is disembarkation I can only narrow it down to 6 FC's and 2 SC's.

Thanks again,

Robert

That is of course assuming he went over with a particular Company when it first went abroad and wasn't a later replacement/reinforcement.

Steve

Guest Ian Bowbrick

The easiest way to determine the actual Coy would be to do a search for his service record. If you live too far from the PRO hire a researcher or place a request in the PRO section of the Forum.

The actiual date of embarkation/disemabrkation on MICs should be treated with care - I have seen the MICs of two brothers who were in the same Bn in the Essex Regt, sailed to Gallipoli on the same boat, but their dates are different.