Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

South Coast Defences

Greatnephew

We have got the Service records of my Wife's Granddad (James Jesse Breeze) from the 2nd World War, but while reading through we discovered an entry under Campaigns "Signals (R.E.) South Coast Defences 1917-1919"

Now we understand that he was in the 1st World War but it was thought that he was involved with horses as he was an exallent rider.

As we do not have a Service number for WW1 or know what regiment he was in, we are stumped as to where we start looking. The only thing we have found that might be him is a medal resord for James J. Breeze but it is with the Royal Army Medical Corp. This may of course tie in with the horses link as he could have been a "Driver" but, that still does not explain the entry on his WW2 record.

Does anyone have any ideas about this, or, whre we can start to try and sort it out.

Is there a way of tracing a soldier from WW1 with out a service number? I have managed to get his service records from WW2 without it.

Hi Scalyback, yes he would have been around that age. He was born in 1899 but it is believed he lied about his age.

The trouble is that although his WW2 records have "Signals (R.E.) South Coast Defences 1917-1919". down under "campaigns" it was though by the family that he had something to do with horses and the only J J Breeze I can find is list under Roayl Army Medical Corp.

Very confusing!!!

If he did not serve overseas he would not qualify for campaign medals. Also don't forget 60% destruction of service records during WWII

Keith

Thanks for that. I was thinking the same. I don't think it is worth me getting a copy of the Medal Record for the one in the Royal Army Medical Corp because it won't tell me any more than I know already.

I will have to try and look at the the defences part again.

The "horses link is bothering me too as he apparently was a good horseman after the war which leads one to think there is a connection.

Ah well I will keep try ing a bit longer but don't hold much hope, at least we have his WW2 records.

Thanks everyone

• Admin

Until the mid-20s at least, most of the Army was still moving around on horses so being good with horses may have got you out of the infantry but there are plenty of other options. As his official WW2 records state he was on the South Coast, I would probably start a new thread called "Signals (R.E.) South Coast Defences 1917-1919" in the Units and Formations area and see what the home service/RE people have to say.

Signals used horses for a lot of reasons. He may of been a groom to an officer and looked after the officers horse. Liked the horsey life and carried on with it.

The RAMC would technicaly have less to do with horses as an other rank. Any horse work for the medical services was done by the Army service corps.

Enquire at the Royal Engineer musuem they may be able to help, Royal signals do not cover the pre 1921 period being only just fromed.