Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lights Out August 4 2014

seaJane

You're going the wrong way, 11pm GMT is 12 midnight BST (spring forward remember))

You are correct of course. My "senior moment" must have sprung forward.

Anne

Oh I did that last year SG and they haven't worked since - when I got all the bits and pieces back together again I had several left over, then my screwdriver went missing, probably inside one of the clocks. I will take your kind advice, go up to the attic, find the box and put all the hands sideways. You are most kind.

Anne

• 1 month later...

As a true patriot, should I be on the road at 2300 on August 4th., I will of course turn my car lights off for a minute. (And probably slow down to 50 mph for safety reasons)

Keith

Shouldn't speed be increased to 100 mph as this is the Centenary?

• 1 month later...

Well I shall be at the War Memorial in Fringford, Oxon at 10:45pm with my candle. ( No one else will bother after reading the posters I put up all around the village though.)

Even bought my British Legion candle! A lot smaller than it appears in the publicity though!

How does it cost 10 million quid to turn lights off, and who is making money from the event?

Did you read the small print on that site - I love the last paragraph

Disclaimer

The LIGHTS OUT project is an invitation to take part in a moment of shared reflection on the 4th August 2014 to mark the centenary of the outbreak of the First World War.

The 14-18 NOW LIGHTS OUT website and material relating to events and services (or to third party information, products and services), is provided ‘as is’, without any representation or endorsement made and without warranty of any kind whether express or implied.

We try to make the information on how to take part in our LIGHTS OUT project as useful and reliable as possible. However, the purpose of this information is to provide general guidance and useful tips only. It doesn’t necessarily deal with every important topic or cover every aspect of the health and safety considerations and might not be relevant or appropriate in all circumstances. It is not designed to provide professional advice and should not be relied on as such. If in any doubt, you should consult an appropriately qualified expert for specific advice before acting on any of the information contained in this website. You should never attempt to carry out any activity which may put you or others at risk or which may cause damage to your or anyone else’s property. The activities described shouldn’t be attempted by anyone under the age of 18, or the inexperienced. Some activities such as those involving gas or electricity should only be carried out by qualified professionals. Always read and follow any relevant manuals and safety instructions.

If you have insurance cover you should check that your cover isn’t invalidated by undertaking work yourself. We do not and cannot advise on planning permission or building regulation issues. To the extent permitted by law, we accept no responsibility (including loss, damage or injury) for your use of the information we provide and you taking part in LIGHTS OUT.

Please note that, whilst every effort is made to ensure the accuracy of the material included on this site, it is made available for general information only and does not constitute professional or legal advice. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including, without limitation, loss of profits, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damages whatsoever arising from use of any information contained within this website.

All participants in the LIGHTS OUTS project acknowledge that they WAIVE, RELEASE, and FOREVER DISCHARGE, INDEMNIFY and HOLD US HARMLESS from and against any and all claims, causes of actions, damages, losses (economic and non-economic), and liabilities of every kind which may arise out of, result from, or relate to participation in LIGHTS OUTS project.

Thanks for posting that link Mike - it says that 'the elderly may light a candle at lunch or teatime for their personal moment of reflection.' A great weight off my mind. :mellow:

Sue

Who are the 'elderly' these days?

Yes Sue, and, remember, make sure you snuff the candle out properly. " Lights Out " cannot be responsible ...................

Lights out? I smell *****

Mike

Yes Sue, and, remember, make sure you snuff the candle out properly. " Lights Out " cannot be responsible ...................

I'm sure it's against the rules to terrify old women ...

The RBL site also has a warning attached - by the time you have sorted the marshals and first aiders, completed the risk assessment, checked to see if you need a special license the moment will be gone.

Health and safety

It's all about common sense. Follow manufacturers' guidelines when using any equipment and think about whether you need people supervising any aspects of your event. Will you need marshals or first aiders for your LIGHTS OUT event? You should conduct a risk assessment to ensure you have proper plans in place for the safety of your participants. For more information check out the Health and Safety Executive website. You will also need to check whether you need any special license for your activity eg public entertainment licence.

• Please inform local Police and the local council in advance of your event if you are wishing to gather at your local war memorial or other public spaces.
  • Remember to extinguish all candles before the event closes
  • Please visit www.hse.gov.uk/event-safety/managing-an-event to read a Health and Safety assessment sheet to give you further guidance on best practice on holding a public event.

Who are the 'elderly' these days?

I used to know but I've forgotten.

Answers on a postcard, please.

I would have requested a sealed envelope with a £50 note contained within :hypocrite: