Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Bn Northumberland Fusiliers Brief Outline of Movements Jan/April 1

Gunner R.A.

Could anyone please give me a brief outline of the movements/activities of the 2nd Bn from landing in France in January 1915 up until the end of April? Any help or advice would be appreciated,

kind regards,

Pete.

Thanks for that Glen, but I just needed the outline of movements and I’m trying to conserve funds for the war diary’s covering larger groups of men and I’ve got a lot to cover,

Cheers,

Pete.

Pete

They spent time around Zillebeke in February and also covered Hill 60.Later movewd to Canal Bank near St Eloi. They took part on counter attack on Trench 'O' during middle of month. The took position in front of canal and later moved forward to La Chapelle Farm and took part in night attach on Z trench (over a quagmire).After billets in Ypres moved to Bailleul on 23rd of Feb and to front at Lindenhook on 27th.

Later on 15th March took over trenches at Broodseine. a couple of days later back to Zillebeke and for 2 days batallion bombers in action at Hill 60. In trenches at Zonnebeke on 23rd and then 2 platoons of A supported Canadian Troops during Battle of St Julien (24th - 28th) in action around Boetleer Farm.

I did a stroll around St Julien a couple of years back and included details on the Ypres Forum under 'Strolls' if you are interested. http://ypres1917.fr.yuku.com/reply/7319/Salient-Stroll-St-Julien-2#reply-7319

Also book available from Pen & Sword.

Bernard