Jump to content
Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
SSherry78

Peter Sherry RFA WW1

Recommended Posts

SSherry78

Hi,

Looking for Service Record/info on Peter Sherry:

Birth Place: Arden, Lanark Death Date: 28 Jun 1918 Death Location: France & Flanders Enlistment Location: Glasgow Rank: Gunner Regiment: Royal Horse Artillery and Royal Field Artillery Number: 109068

Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ellis1918

Medal index card on Ancestry shows Victory & British War medals . No date of entry into theatre so after 1915 . Dod 28 Jun 1918.

Confirms regiment , rank & service number you have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ellis1918

CWGC shows him as 15th brigade Royal Field Artillery buried Terlincthun British Cemetery , Wimille , France - used for burials from service hospitals .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SSherry78

Hi all.  My Great Uncle Peter fell 100 years ago today.  

 

I am writing up a blog post about what is known about his life.  Lack of service records are of course a challenge to piece together his war.  However, his brothers Arthur and Michael served in the RFA and have similar service numbers:

Michael's service number: 109066

Arthur's service number :109065

 

Is it possible that all three enlisted on the same day?

 

Thanks in advance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IPT

It's very possible, but that number sequence appears to be alphabetical, rather than chronological.

 

For example, 109067 was James Sherry.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
David Porter
7 hours ago, SSherry78 said:

Is it possible that all three enlisted on the same day?

 

Yes it certainly is. The surname alphabetical sequence is rather short running from 109054 to 109070. All these men appear to have arrived at No. 6 Depot RFA, Glasgow on November 1, 1915 having attested a few days before. In the case of Arthur and Michael Sherry (and possibly James Sherry) this was October 27, 1915. The final proof for Peter Sherry was found in the service record of 109069 William Webster. 

 

PSherry.jpg.b409c8a53a5cd210c05514feca8c5f76.jpg

 

In addition these men were subsequently sent to 33rd Reserve Battery, 6A Reserve Brigade RFA, also a Glasgow, on November 2, 1915

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SSherry78

Thank you so much for this!    Would I be correct in assuming that the Attestations for Peter and James no longer exist?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mark1959

Ancestry has a fragment of Arthur’s attestation etc The have indexed as 109005. Enlistment Date given as 28/10/15.

Address 33 Causeyside ???

Trade: Miner

Age:27

Married 1/12/12 to Catherine?

Child born 26/3/15.

Mobilised 1/11/15 as shown above.

Also shows a 5299 number.

Asked for a pension. Letter says at bottom A Battery 115 Brigade 26th ??? [Division?)

Suffered from malaria and dysentery at some point.

Discharged 28/2/19

left Devonport 15/3/16. Arrived Alexandria 26/3/16. Left Alex 28/3/16 and arrived Salonika 3/4/16 and posted to 115 Brigade RFA 5/4/16

Back to UK late Nov 1918.

orher bits and pieces. Do you have ancestry?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SSherry78
1 minute ago, Mark1959 said:

Ancestry has a fragment of Arthur’s attestation etc The have indexed as 109005. Enlistment Date given as 28/10/15.

Address 33 Causeyside ???

Trade: Miner

Age:27

Married 1/12/12 to Catherine?

Child born 26/3/15.

Mobilised 1/11/15 as shown above.

Also shows a 5299 number.

Asked for a pension. Letter says at bottom A Battery 115 Brigade 26th ??? [Division?)

Suffered from malaria and dysentery at some point.

Discharged 28/2/19

left Devonport 15/3/16. Arrived Alexandria 26/3/16. Left Alex 28/3/16 and arrived Salonika 3/4/16 and posted to 115 Brigade RFA 5/4/16

Back to UK late Nov 1918.

orher bits and pieces. Do you have ancestry?



Yes.  Thats my Great Uncle Arthur.  I found his and Michael's records on there a couple of years ago.  I do know that all the older Sherry brothers went to War.  They had another brother John Sherry 1896-1947.  But I could never find his or James' Records.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MaxD

Peter Sherry died in No 2 Australian General Hospital at Wimereux (Register of Soldiers' Effects).  He was in D battery of 15 Brigade RFA which, in the night 25/26 June sustained 4 officers and 28 other ranks gas casualties in what the war diary describes as a "heavy gas bombardment concentrated on a small area"    - on the linked map/image running from where the road enters the wood in square J 21 down to bend in the canal between squares 26 and 27.

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=14&lat=50.6486&lon=2.5318&layers=101464999&right=BingHyb

While one cannot be sure that that was where he was gassed, the diary records no earlier D Battery casualties in May or June .  In any event, the brigade had been in that area since returning from Italy in early April so it is legitimate to suggest that was the area from which he was evacuated to hospital.

 

Max

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SSherry78
5 minutes ago, MaxD said:

Peter Sherry died in No 2 Australian General Hospital at Wimereux (Register of Soldiers' Effects).  He was in D battery of 15 Brigade RFA which, in the night 25/26 June sustained 4 officers and 28 other ranks gas casualties in what the war diary describes as a "heavy gas bombardment concentrated on a small area"    - on the linked map/image running from where the road enters the wood in square J 21 down to bend in the canal between squares 26 and 27.

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=14&lat=50.6486&lon=2.5318&layers=101464999&right=BingHyb

While one cannot be sure that that was where he was gassed, the diary records no earlier D Battery casualties in May or June .  In any event, the brigade had been in that area since returning from Italy in early April so it is legitimate to suggest that was the area from which he was evacuated to hospital.

 

Max

Thank you!  

 

Is the War Diary available online so I can quote the source?

Edited by SSherry78

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MaxD

If you have Ancestry, it is most easily found by going to the France/Belgium/Germany etc War diaries  search box and entering 1528 in the keyword box and nothing else.  That brings up the whole diary, ignore the title which suggests it stops at Nov 1917.   Advance to image 545 of 585 which is mid June 1918.

The National Archive reference in full is WO 95/1528/2.

 

Max

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SSherry78
2 hours ago, MaxD said:

If you have Ancestry, it is most easily found by going to the France/Belgium/Germany etc War diaries  search box and entering 1528 in the keyword box and nothing else.  That brings up the whole diary, ignore the title which suggests it stops at Nov 1917.   Advance to image 545 of 585 which is mid June 1918.

The National Archive reference in full is WO 95/1528/2.

 

Max

Brilliant! Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
clk

Hi,

 

I suspect that you may have already seen them, but just in case FWR appear to have some MH 106 transcription for Arthur and Michael which read:

 

First Name: A

Surname: Sherry

Age: 29

Rank: Gunner

Service Number: 109065

Years Service: 2 years

Months With Field Force: 1 year 6 months

Ailment: Malaria R.

Date of Admission for Original Ailment: 06/10/1917

Date Discharged Back to Duty: 23/10/1917

Notes written in the Observations Column: No. 4 Convalescent Depot.

Religion: Roman Catholic

Regiment: Royal Field Artillery

Battalion: 115th Brigade

Other unit info: A Battery

Archive Reference: MH106/1348 - Representative Medical Records of No. 28 General Hospital, Salonika

 

First Name: M

Surname:  Sherry

Age: 22

Rank: Gunner

Service Number: 10966 (sic)

Years Service:12 months

Months With Field Force: 7 months

Ailment: Malaria

Date of Admission for Original Ailment: 23/09/1916

Date Transferred to Sick Convoy: 24/09/1916

Notes written in the Observations Column: To Ambulance Train

Religion: Roman Catholic

Regiment: Royal Field Artillery

Battalion: 115th Brigade 

Other unit info: A Battery

Archive Reference: MH106/548 - Representative Medical Records of Servicemen from No. 31 Casualty Clearing Station

 

First Name: M

Surname: Sherry

Age: 25

Rank: Gunner

Service Number: 109066

Years Service: 2 years

Months With Field Force: 1 year 8 months

Ailment: Malaria rec.

Date Discharged Back to Duty: 22/09/1917

Date of Transfer From Other Hospitals: 10/09/1917

Notes written in the Observations Column: No. 4 Convalescent Depot. No. 28 Casualty Clearing Station.

Religion: Roman Catholic

Regiment: Royal Field Artillery

Battalion: 115th Brigade

Other unit info: A Battery

Archive Reference:

MH106/1345 - Representative Medical Records of No. 28 General Hospital, Salonika

 

First Name: M

Surname: Sherry

Rank: Gunner

Service Number: 109066

Ailment: Dysentery and malaria.

Date of Admission for Original Ailment: 06/01/1919

Date Discharged Back to Duty: 09/01/1919

Notes written in the Observations Column: Trip No.243. Convalescent for England to HM Ambulance Transport Kashmir and Aberdonian.

Notes written by FWR when Transcribing: Entrained Marseilles. Detrained Le Havre.

Regiment: Royal Field Artillery

Battalion: 115th Brigade 

Other unit info: A Battery

Archive Reference: MH106/2011 - Representative Medical Records of 31st Ambulance Train.

 

Regards

Chris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SSherry78
1 hour ago, clk said:

Hi,

 

I suspect that you may have already seen them, but just in case FWR appear to have some MH 106 transcription for Arthur and Michael which read:

 

First Name: A

Surname: Sherry

Age: 29

Rank: Gunner

Service Number: 109065

Years Service: 2 years

Months With Field Force: 1 year 6 months

Ailment: Malaria R.

Date of Admission for Original Ailment: 06/10/1917

Date Discharged Back to Duty: 23/10/1917

Notes written in the Observations Column: No. 4 Convalescent Depot.

Religion: Roman Catholic

Regiment: Royal Field Artillery

Battalion: 115th Brigade

Other unit info: A Battery

Archive Reference: MH106/1348 - Representative Medical Records of No. 28 General Hospital, Salonika

 

First Name: M

Surname:  Sherry

Age: 22

Rank: Gunner

Service Number: 10966 (sic)

Years Service:12 months

Months With Field Force: 7 months

Ailment: Malaria

Date of Admission for Original Ailment: 23/09/1916

Date Transferred to Sick Convoy: 24/09/1916

Notes written in the Observations Column: To Ambulance Train

Religion: Roman Catholic

Regiment: Royal Field Artillery

Battalion: 115th Brigade 

Other unit info: A Battery

Archive Reference: MH106/548 - Representative Medical Records of Servicemen from No. 31 Casualty Clearing Station

 

First Name: M

Surname: Sherry

Age: 25

Rank: Gunner

Service Number: 109066

Years Service: 2 years

Months With Field Force: 1 year 8 months

Ailment: Malaria rec.

Date Discharged Back to Duty: 22/09/1917

Date of Transfer From Other Hospitals: 10/09/1917

Notes written in the Observations Column: No. 4 Convalescent Depot. No. 28 Casualty Clearing Station.

Religion: Roman Catholic

Regiment: Royal Field Artillery

Battalion: 115th Brigade

Other unit info: A Battery

Archive Reference:

MH106/1345 - Representative Medical Records of No. 28 General Hospital, Salonika

 

First Name: M

Surname: Sherry

Rank: Gunner

Service Number: 109066

Ailment: Dysentery and malaria.

Date of Admission for Original Ailment: 06/01/1919

Date Discharged Back to Duty: 09/01/1919

Notes written in the Observations Column: Trip No.243. Convalescent for England to HM Ambulance Transport Kashmir and Aberdonian.

Notes written by FWR when Transcribing: Entrained Marseilles. Detrained Le Havre.

Regiment: Royal Field Artillery

Battalion: 115th Brigade 

Other unit info: A Battery

Archive Reference: MH106/2011 - Representative Medical Records of 31st Ambulance Train.

 

Regards

Chris

Great stuff Chris!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...