Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Armstrong Brothers?

Ben3095

Hi I am researching two soldiers of which a friend has some medals to;

T.D Armstrong West Yorks R (2nd Left)

George Jackson Armstrong West Yorks R (Major)

I know George Jackson Armstrong won the MM but I cant find out why, he also won a french or italyian gallentry medal?

And the other Armstrong was MID but I cant find if these guys are brothers or even father and son etc.

Could anyone pleasse help!

Hi Ben,

Major Jackson won the M.C. rather than the M.M. and was with the 11th Bn West Yorks. If you have not seen his MIC, this gives an address: Low Wood Hall, Wasdale, Cumbria.

In the 1891 census we have Thomas Dalzell Armstrong, age 12, and George Jackson Armstrong, age 6, both being the sons of William Jackson Armstrong and Mary Armstrong of Whitehaven, Cumbria.

Their father appears to have been the owner of the Tower Brewery in Whitehaven.

They were both commissioned into the 11th West Yorks, T.D.A. on 30/12/14 and G.J.A. on 26/4/15. They were educated at St Peter's School, York. T.D.A. died in 1928 and G.J.A. in ?

So to answer your question, yes, they were brothers.

Hope this helps,

Robert

Hi

Thank you very much! I have found the both in the London gazette! I have G.J.A in 1911 living in fulham as a Soliciter.

Onwards and upwards!

As always thank you!

:)

Glad to be of asistance.

Please let us know how you progress with your project. I could not find an MIC for T.D.A., which means that it is either missing or he did not apply for his medals at the end of the war.

It may well be worth your while to consult the National Archives and see if their service records are available, as these may fill in a few gaps for you :thumbsup:

Robert

Hi

It must be missing as a "friend" has the medals. His name I found was Thomas Dalzell Armstrong. Its more just doing research for the guy, not sure if he is genuinly interested or you might see them on the "bay"!