Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

T.V. coverage so far .....

djcrtoye

With 3 months into the centenary I want to see what every body thinks of the tv programmes so far. For me I think its been very good. There's something for every body the beginner and for the serious historians like us here. From Paxman's series to 37 days and the several one off's so far. Each will bring there own audience . It has been of a high standard and I sincerely hope that it will continue to do so.

Dominic

I am amazed at how good the programmes have been; I was fearing/expecting cliched nonsense (about hundreds of lads being shot for cowardice, Haig being callous and incompetent, and Lloyd George being a decent chap who won the war etc.) but instead, there has been intelligent documentation and well-informed debate. My favourite item so far is still the BBC's wonderful The Wipers Times.

William

The programmes shown to date have been excellent. I have enjoyed each one but have to say The Pity of War was a bit disappointing as far as I was concerned. The BBC have to be commended on their programmes so far and I look forward to seeing many more. As you have already said Dominic, there has been something of interest to everybody and my long suffering husband has even enjoyed watching them although he has no interest whatsoever in the Great War. My favourite so far is The Great War Interviews.

Anne

Im surprised by how much I liked 37 days. Normally don't go for dramatizations.

I am surprised it is being shown so early, almost as if when the centenary comes it will all have been said and done, and everyone will be bored by WW1. Or will the summer sport be of more importance, so get it out of the way now. They cannot possibly keep this level of content up all year.

All good stuff in my opinion - anything that brings to life and raises the awareness of the Great War can only be a good thing. There will be inaccuracies which those who spend lots of time immersed in the subject will spot but so far I believe what has been presented has been great and well balanced and has opened my eyes and made it all the more real.

Looking forward to more of the same!

What I found notable about the Great War interviews was the apparent lack of emotion shown by all those interviewed. When you compare the interviews you still see today of interviews with WW2 vets (my Grandpa included), there is often a tear shed and break in the voice. All the men and women interviewed had been through harrowing experiences but not a tear was shed or was there a break in the voice - I guess prime examples of the Great British "stiff upper lip"?!

Ant

It`s all been generally of such a high standard, I think that all of us have been pleasantly surprised, but I`m suffering withdrawal symptoms already. I`m wondering if it`s all dried up!

What`s the next thing that we have to look forward to?

What I found notable about the Great War interviews was the apparent lack of emotion shown by all those interviewed. When you compare the interviews you still see today of interviews with WW2 vets (my Grandpa included), there is often a tear shed and break in the voice. All the men and women interviewed had been through harrowing experiences but not a tear was shed or was there a break in the voice - I guess prime examples of the Great British "stiff upper lip"?!

Ant

I think there was mention on another thread that some of the interviewees couldn`t be filmed as they were too badly affected by their experiences. Given that the original series was produced around 1964, then it probably wouldn`t have been suitable for the time.

The one interview is stopped by the interviewee "Can we stop there" and the sound stops dead, there is emotion in the voice, seconds before there is none. It is the chap that become a writer?

Ant

There have been plenty of programmes which give the impression that the Director wishes to force out every bit of emotion. Typically "how are you feeling as we explain in detail how your ancestor died".

Yet here we have the suggestion that these emotions should be squeezed out of the participants. The modern trend of closing in on someone close to breaking point is to be abhorred and I for one support the attempts made in this series to respect those who were filmed.

Kevin

The modern trend of closing in on someone close to breaking point is to be abhorred .

Kevin

I couldn`t agree more, I find it distinctly cruel to the person being interviewed, they might as well be whipping them with a bullwhip.

There are a few programmes I'd like to see repeated to a presumably larger and more attentive audience, foremost among them is "My Family at War", I thoroughly enjoyed the way it tried to cover as many of the major issues of WW1, Generals unprepared for industrial warfare, Pre-War Regulars mobilised in 1914, older volunteers with young families, Roman Catholic volunteers who's service was resented by their community post War, Colonial volunteers, the development of the RFC, underground warfare and MGC, shell shock, POW's, post war treatment of wounds, recovery of the fallen and the Influenza epidemic.

With the addition of a couple of new episodes that would cover Women at War, the Navy, tanks, Balkans and Mespot/Palestine and it'd be perfect, only problem though is one of the episodes focuses on Rolf Harris and with his current court case they won't repeat it, sadly he shares the episode with Kirsty Wark and her part was excellent.

Sam

Yes I agree - panning in on veterans being unable to speak is very uncomfortable to watch and clearly painful for those being interviewed - not nice and very moving. My point was that that this didn't appear to be displayed in the one programme I have watched which I thought was superb by the way.

No generalisation was intended hence the "?" at then end of my post.

I believe there are a few more first hand account documentaries available on BBC iPlayer which I shall have to get my hands on.

Ant

A good programme on the war - it's an evocation of it rather than a history, started last Tuesday on France 2 and continues tomorrow evening.

One interesting point is that the film has been colourised and, I think, redone and cleaned. There is far more than I have ever seen before, and the colour does make it easier to pick out details. I recommend it to anyone who can get French TV.

One strange point is that the series is billed as four episodes, but in fact, two were shown back to back last week, and the other two will be shown back to back tomorrow.

The only one I've watched so far is the one about newly-discovered photographs and I wasn't too impressed. If the makers stuck to facts and eschewed conjecture, and didn't feel the need to reiterate every 10 minutes what we're watching they would make far better viewing. I have the out-takes of the 1964 Great War series to watch; other than that I'm afraid I've not bothered.

Speaking as an enthusiastic amatuer and something of a WW1 dunce I've really enjoyed the programming so far, '37 Days' and 'I Was There' being the high points.

I'm looking forward to seeing more, but, as mentioned above, I wonder if it'll have to make way for the sport during the summer.

Not yet. I'll get round to it at some point, but if the producers felt the need to lead me by the hand and "interpret" everything my judgement might be different to that of others.

For good televisual history I go no further than to recomment The Plantagenets on BBC2 tonight: Professor Robert Bartlett's series on the Normas was excellent, and based on the evidence of last week, this is as good. Simple effective story-telling. Although i shall be long-gone, I think there wil never be truly effective television on the Great War until it is treated as history rather than as an opportunity to "feel the pain". Dispassionate, objective, effective history does it for me, thanks.

Not yet. I'll get round to it at some point, but if the producers felt the need to lead me by the hand and "interpret" everything my judgement might be different to that of others.

It's pretty much left to the veterans to tell their story, and all the better for it. I'm sure you will enjoy them.

Although i shall be long-gone, I think there wil never be truly effective television on the Great War until it is treated as history rather than as an opportunity to "feel the pain". Dispassionate, objective, effective history does it for me, thanks. I understand. You can actually feel and see the veteran's pain in these interviews, but, it is real.

I'm unsure if apostrophe in correct place :whistle:

Mike

I am I the only one who was disappointed with last night's " The First Great Escape"?

Probably the worst of the programmes so far( mind you the bar has been set very high by the BBC so Channel 5's effort was bound to be poorer.

I saw it, Ron da Valli. I thought it was archetypal History Channel stuff: a few talking heads, a bit of animation, etc. OK but not going to win any prizes. Having said that, there may not have been too much more to wring out of the subject. I still don't know, unless I missed something, who the chap labelled "journalist" is and why he has any connection to it.

You summed it up perfectly there Chris. The most interesting bit came at the end, updating us on the untimely deaths of the three main escapees.