Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SMLW Expert? Advice on model for 1916 sought

nthornton1979

Hi all,

Rifles really are not my thing and it's safe to say I know next to nothing about the different models of SMLE during WW1.

I am looking for photos (and clarification of model) for the rifle that a British Tommy would most likely have in September 1916.

I believe the rifle would be the MKIII issue without the magazine cut off and volley sites?

Does anyone have photos of this rifle?

It is to be a part of a life-size bronze sculpture and needs to be 100% correct.

Many thanks

Neil

In September of 1916 it would have been either a MkIII or a MkIII*

The MkIII* was introduced January 1916 so plenty of time for them to make it to the front.

It should also be noted CLLE (Charger Loading Lee Enfields) & Mk1 SMLEs were also used extensively early in WW1 by some regiments.

MkIII

1911BSAMkIIImain.jpg

1911BSAMkIIIlhs.jpg

MkIII*

NRF1.jpg

NRF2.jpg

Edited by 5thBatt

Neil

THIS LITTLE GUIDE - while not exhaustive may be of some use.

5th Batts excellent pictures above will give you the overview - if you want specific angles or views just ask - I am sure one of us can oblige.

On the western front most MLEs/CLEs had gone by early 1916 - the battalion of particular interest to me traded theirs for SMLEs in Feb 1916

Cheers

Chris

Hello Neil interesting project, can you tell us more about it?, perhaps there is a Great War reenactor group or a museum near to you that will let handle and measure a genuine rifle. I am sure there are forum members that could steer you in the right direction.

regards

khaki

it's safe to say I know next to nothing about the different models of SMLE during WW1

. rather obvious from the thread caption: SMLW Expert? Advice on model for 1916 sought
You can amend the caption using the "Advanced Edit" option, but it brought a smile! :w00t:

Neil

THIS LITTLE GUIDE - while not exhaustive may be of some use.

5th Batts excellent pictures above will give you the overview - if you want specific angles or views just ask - I am sure one of us can oblige.

On the western front most MLEs/CLEs had gone by early 1916 - the battalion of particular interest to me traded theirs for SMLEs in Feb 1916

Cheers

Chris

That's a fantastic bit of information Chris, have saved a copy. Many thanks for posting it!

Kind regards,

Andy.

Hi all,

Rifles really are not my thing and it's safe to say I know next to nothing about the different models of SMLE during WW1.

I am looking for photos (and clarification of model) for the rifle that a British Tommy would most likely have in September 1916.

I believe the rifle would be the MKIII issue without the magazine cut off and volley sites?

Does anyone have photos of this rifle?

It is to be a part of a life-size bronze sculpture and needs to be 100% correct.

Many thanks

Neil

Hi Neil,

I'm not sure whether you'd ever get the chance but Keighley's War Memorial has a soldier with an SMLE and you can get pretty close to it to see the rifle he is holding. Might be useful for what you're planning.

Here's a picture of it. I'd say the figure is about 8 feet tall so a bit larger than lifesize:

post-9980-0-66533600-1395484256_thumb.jp

Kind regards,

Andy.

. rather obvious from the thread caption: SMLW Expert? Advice on model for 1916 sought
You can amend the caption using the "Advanced Edit" option, but it brought a smile! :w00t:

More obvious , to me, from reading OP a banana finger aimed at E :whistle:

Great photos.

Very many thanks for all your comments guys... Much appreciated and a big help indeed.

Hello Neil interesting project, can you tell us more about it?,

The statue is of a local Victoria Cross recipient and will be depicting him in the act of entering a trench when he got the VC - September 1916 at Morval on the Somme.

The soldier in question is this chap - http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=114390&hl=%2Btodger+%2Bjones

The sculptor has asked me if I have a rifle that he can work from or, failing that, photographs showing the rifle from all angles. I am in Cheshire and the sculptor is in Scotland so it won't really be feasible for me to 'loan' a rifle from someone and post it up and down Britain.

Andy, thanks for the photo of the Keighley war memorial. Is this a MkIII or a MkIII*? I guess I'll have to decide which one we are going to sue and then send him photos covering all angles for him to work off.

Thanks again guys.

Neil