Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Machine Gun Mystery

MikeyH

'The Case of The Vanishing Machine Gun Maker'

A feature on Radio 4 last year explored the possibility that a publican in Southampton, one William Cantelo, may have designed and built an early machine gun. He had a pub sited over a tunnel, and is rumoured to have carried out tests on a quick firing weapon in a workshop underneath the 'Old Tower Inn' adjoining the Arundel Tower in Southampton. He apparently completed the weapon in the early 1880's and is said to have referred to it as 'my maxim gun'. In a peculiar twist he then disappeared, a large sum of money being transferred from his bank following his disappearance.

His family employed a private detective who traced him to America. For more details on this intriguing story Google Southampton machine gun. The programme is still available on the BBC Iplayer.

Whilst this predates our GWF timeline, I feel sure that other Forum users will find this of interest.

Mike.

There is a thread on the forum from August last year discussing this. Search on the chap's name and it will bring it up.

I'm on my mobile and useless with it otherwise I would post s link.

Nigel

Nigel,

Thanks for pointing out the previous thread, still a fascinating story.

Mike.

Also mentioned in Jeremy Clarksons "Objects that changed the world"(or words to that affect), The machine gun episode. It is mentioned there and some odd going on and then the lead up to the Great war and the myths surrounding th maxim and vickers in the great war.