Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Doberitz

cavework

Hi, I am new here and would love a bit of help.

My Dad died in 2013 and on clearing the house I found a biscuit tin at the back of the garage which contained a huge amount of photos , postcards etc which belonged to my Grandfather who was a POW at Doberitz in about 1917.

Some have names and details on the back , some do not, some are postcards showing the theatre productions held at the camp.I am sure some are of Russian or other soldiers not British,,, one is of a German soldier and I have traced the info to a Factory which is still there now.I am pretty sure he was the owner of the factories son , as he is shown with his Father on the photo

Two show the temporary crosses of soldiers that died at Doberitz who were interned in Berlin Cemetery after the war , they show the cemetery as it is being built , possibly about 1920,s..

Also postcards by 'Took'?

Also photos of the lads in the camp in groups , postcards of British prisoner work parties

I love genealogy and have traced the service records for the men now interned in Berlin that are shown on the photos

It is a huge undertaking to trace the families of the photos which have names on the back , let alone the ones that don't..

Could I post the photos and details on here and would anyone be interested in researching them?

Thanks for your time

Kim

Wow! What a find...

I'm sure many pals would be delighted to see the pictures and help.

Regards

Ian

Thank you so much for replying .. I am really amazed by the things in this simple biscuit tin, they are in really good condition.. Dad was in Burma during WW2 but I never knew my Grandad was a POW in WW1 as he died when I was 6 in 1966

I will try and add some of the photos in the next few days .. but I might need a bit of help ..

Watch this space

xx

Kim,

Wonderful photos. Would love to see a close up of some of the cap badges in picture 2 "1914 Alright"

John

Oh blimey ! I will try but son has done these for me..

I have loads of these ..I will try and post more including the ones I have of British soldiers/Navy photos with all their info on the back..

Then the ones with no info, then the ones I think are not British servicemen and then the Took postcards and the one from the Red Cross..

Phew !!!

Thanks Kim. No rush. The cap badges are always interesting to identify the regiments. My main interest is Connaught Rangers and there were a number of them in Doberitz.

John

Ok can anyone help me with any info

PT Harry Walker A3489 10 LIN

firstly Worcester Reg.. I have his leather dog tags and Linc cap badge plus a load of coins in a leather wallet

Lost an eye just before becoming a POW at Doberitz..

I also have all his paperwork notifying his Mother he had become a POW..

Probably a long shot ,but thanks for looking

xx

"Took" will be Able-Seaman Cecil Arthur Tooke of the Royal Naval Division who was taken POW at Antwerp - he was one of those involved in producing a prison camp magazine / book called "The Link" and probably had a hand in the magazine the Doberitz Gazette - he produced Christmas Cards and other items within the camp.

The camp was originally comprised of a lot of the men captured at Le Cateau and Mons, and was then bolstered in October 1914 by the RND men from Antwerp. A large number of Russian prisoners arrived in November 1914. The camp (nominally) held between 8,000 and 10,000 men of which about half at any given time seem to have been British. The camp took fair long while to get going from basically nothing and the facilities were utterly awful in the first few months. In May 1916 about a quarter of the 4,000 British prisoners (i.e. 1,000) were sent to Kurland / Courland (Latvia) as reprisal for German POWs being used for labour in France.

In case of long shots, my great-uncle at Doberitz was 7199 Walter Brooksbank of the 2nd Suffolks....!

Steve.

This is probably your man Kim -

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=D5711775

Medal card of Walker, Harry
Corps Regiment No Rank
Worcestershire Regiment 27384 Private
Lincolnshire Regiment 43498 Private
SWB -
Enlisted 10/12/15
Discharged 16/4/19
Due to wounds.
Age 29.

Colour Sgt Williams and 30 Men from the RDF were interned in there in 1914

cavework,

What a fascinating collection you have there! Looking forward to seeing more!

Trajan

http://imgur.com/agnIiaJ

Trying really hard to add loads more , but struggling..

This is the only Photo of a German soldier with the address attached. I think this was the Factory in Berlin

I will add all the others tomorrow when Son returns..

Hope this is OK to do on this forum as there are loads .?.

Thank you very much for the reply about Harry .. I have the medal records and the silver badge records from Ancestry but unfortunately I think the service and pension records went up in the blitz during WW2. Seems a lot of the Worcester Regiments records for WW1 suffered the same fate ..and most of my family served with them...or the Gloucesters