Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Replica trench

adesmith1972

To mark the WWI centenary we are hoping to build a small section of replica WWI trench. I am a history teacher in a Cardiff secondary school and we are hoping that we will be receiving the promised funding from the Welsh government to do a project to mark the centenary. We discussed producing some kind of memorial but eventually came down to the idea that some kind of replica trench that the pupils could experience would be not only a very effective memorial but also an excellent teaching resource. We are getting the whole school involved so around the trench construction each department will be contributing some form of WWI project eg Food Tech producing trench food, Music learning some WWI songs ...

Basically, I have a few questions to ask. Firstly has anyone had any experience of constructing a replica trench and if so, do you have any tips or advice? Secondly, was there a basic standard for trench building? I realise that they varied but are there rough dimensions etc.

Really any advice or helpful suggestions would be appreciated as we realise that this is quite an ambitious project. We have already had a few people saying it can't be done because of health and safety but we still feel it is possible if it is constructed right. We will look for outside help as the project unfolds, so it isn't just going to be teachers rolling their sleeves up and digging!

Thanks.

Andy Robertshaw has done that very thing. Check out his website for details - www.andyrobertshaw.com

I work with a youth project further up the valleys. If you would like more youth inclusion away from your school, I could help there.

Thank you so much everyone. There are some good things to get us started here and I have also had a message from somebody else who is able to help. Really appreciate your help and I will be in touch/keep you updated.