Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private William Henry Puddicombe

w3anders

Hi All

I am new at this forum, and am having a hard time trying to post. My earlier post was deleted, as I put it in the wrong spot. I am still learning to navigate around, so I apologize, If my post went to the wrong area.

I am looking for any informaiton on my g grandfather who killed in action on May 21, 1916- France and Flanders

My family has no known photographs of him at all.

He was in the 7th City of London Battalion #5016.

His memorial is at Arras Memorial.

Any help would be appreciated.

thank you.

William Henry Puddicombe Residence: Bush Hill Park Death Date: 21 May 1916 Death Location: France & Flanders Enlistment Location: Sun St. Rank: Private Regiment: London Regiment Battalion: 7th (City of London) Battalion Number: 5016 Type of Casualty: Killed in action Theatre of War: Western European Theatre

William Henry Puddicombe Death Date: 21 May 1916 Cemetery: The Arras Memorial at Faubourg-D´Amiens Cemetery, Arras Burial Country: France Service number: 5016 Region or Memorial: France

Medal index card shows awarded Victory medal , British War medal and 1915 Star.

Landed in France 14 Nov 1915

Confirms 7th battn London reg and KIA 21 May 1916

Probably a casualty of the German attack at Vimy Ridge on 21 May 1916 as part of the 47th(2nd London) Division

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Is this your first post HERE ?

It has not been deleted (yet) but is in the wrong place and will be deleted in about a month's time, so re-starting here is a good move.

Good luck with your search.

CGM

thank you very much, I very much appreciate all the information.

Do you know if there are any pictures, or if you know anyone who could help me find a pic of my g grandfather?

My grandfater was only 6 when William died, there are no known photographs of William Henry.

w3anders,

It may be worth checking with the local library (local to where his family were living at the time of his death) to see if they have copies of the local newspapers of the time. Quite a few of these papers (not all) published death notices as supplied by the families, some with photos.

Good luck,

Kev Loughnane

w3anders,

The 1915 Electoral Roll shows William H Puddicombe as living at 37 John St, Enfield (Bush Hill Park Ward).

A quick check with the British Library show the local papers as being: The Enfield Gazette (1913-1986) and Enfield, Palmers Green, Southgate and Edmonton Gazette (1859 to date).

I have no idea as to how usefull these papers may be to you.

Regards,

Kev Loughnane

• 3 years later...

Hi, I'd be interested if you ended up finding any pictures. You and I are apparently 2nd cousins, once removed. My great grandmother, Charlotte was your grandfather's sister.   

Unfortunately the original poster joined the GWF on 18.3.2014 and their last visit was on 22.3.2014

A ship that passed in the night?

BillyH.