Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

webley finishes

Khaki

Difficult question time of the day, but one I am really interested to know the answer to, were Webley's ever given that luxurious coat of black paint that you see from time to time liberally applied to Great War smle's, I think post war?

khaki

I have owned several with black paint. One was a early Mark that the paint was getting fairly shabby. I decided to just clean it off and do a repaint.

Imagine my surprise when I found a beautiful glossy blue on everything except for a spot on the backstrap that looked like a spot of rust had been removed by a grinder..

I assumed that it was standard procedure that the repair facility just painted anything that came in for refurbishing. I can't remember which of these two it was. (Unfortunately I no longer own them.)

Webley1.jpg

WebleyII.jpg

Thanks deadin,

can you advise,from your personal research whether any of the 'paint jobs' were actually done during the Great War, I had always thought that they were post war?

khaki

khaki,

I really don't know for sure, but somehow I've felt it was later.

I think it may have something to do with having seen many painted No.4 Mk 1's.

A lot of the black paint jobs are indicative of a vacation in India. Very thick paint carefully and artfully applied with a pushbroom.

Edited by Reese