Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Remington P1907

18th Battalion

Just acquired this Remington P1907, so I thought I'd share it with the bayonet fans. It's in good condition with just some light surface rust which some oil and a plastic pan scourer should fix.

Anyone know what the 'P' on top of the tang means?

post-59637-0-74682300-1395173775_thumb.j

post-59637-0-32185800-1395173837_thumb.j

post-59637-0-26593800-1395173893_thumb.j

post-59637-0-38105300-1395173924_thumb.j

Just acquired this Remington P1907, so I thought I'd share it with the bayonet fans. It's in good condition with just some light surface rust which some oil and a plastic pan scourer should fix.

Anyone know what the 'P' on top of the tang means?

A nice bayonet to have, as Remington only made 100,000 Pattern 1907 Sword Bayonets for the British Army.

From memory, the ' P ' on the tang is an inspection mark.

Attached is a photo of 4 different Remington bayonets in my Collection, the P1907 Remington is top right, also a close up of the P1907 ricasso.

Regards,

LF

post-63666-0-35082100-1395182494_thumb.j

post-63666-0-42034000-1395182512_thumb.j

Very nice examples, both of you! I keep my eyes open for one, as a curiosity piece, but alas and alack, no luck yet!

I have seen tang marks on various UK bayonets, usually just an initial, but I think also (once) an Enfield inspectors mark.

Off topic, I know, but anyone know how many 1913's were made by Remington and/or Winchester?

Trajan

Off topic, I know, but anyone know how many 1913's were made by Remington and/or Winchester?

Trajan,

Here are the Pattern 1913 Mk.I Sword Bayonet production figures :-

Winchester - 225,000

Remington - 1,243,000

Vickers - 1,500

A 1913 Trials Sword Bayonet with a hooked quillion was produced by Enfield of which, only about 1,200 were made.

Regards,

LF

Thank you LF! I have just the one Remington 1913, dated 1/17, with the 'A' inspector mark, plus a Winchester one with US marks. Out of my main area of interest completely, but I guess these US ones were never date-stamped like the UK ones, i.e., no month/year dating?

Trajan

PS: that information about the Enfield 1913 hooked quillon trials one is an eye-opener! Never knew about that - or if I ever did it went into the furthest back corner of the old noddle and was catalogued as "So unlikely to ever see an example so forget it!"

PS: that information about the Enfield 1913 hooked quillon trials one is an eye-opener! Never knew about that - or if I ever did it went into the furthest back corner of the old noddle and was catalogued as "So unlikely to ever see an example so forget it!"

Trajan,

The Trials P1913 bayonet was made to go with the experimental Pattern 1913 Rifle produced in .276 calibre, of which some 1251 were made and each rifle had a matching P1913 Trials bayonet serial numbered to the rifle.

With the outbreak of WW1, the .276 calibre P1913 rifle was abandoned in favour of the .303 Pattern 1914 rifle which was fitted with the Pattern 1913 Mk.I Sword Bayonet without the hooked quillion.

Attached are 2 photos of the Trials P1913 bayonet with the hooked quillion, one is in the Pattern Room at Enfield and another is in The Imperial War Museum, so keep your eyes open for any of the others!

Regards,

LF

post-63666-0-78501500-1395258657_thumb.j

LF, your P1907 Remington looks in great condition, very little wear and tear. I'm guessing my one never left France after the war as it doen't have any additional reissue stamps and it hasn't been drilled with the oil/cleaning hole?

I bought it from a seller in France, and for £35 including postage I think I got a really good buy considering what decent P1907's go for these days!

Now, I just need another scabbard to put my Wilkinson bayonet in and transfer it's Remington scabbard to this one.

I bought it from a seller in France, and for £35 including postage I think I got a really good buy considering what decent P1907's go for these days!

Now, I just need another scabbard to put my Wilkinson bayonet in and transfer it's Remington scabbard to this one.

A great buy! and a scarce bayonet. Remember, some 5 million P1907 bayonets were made in Britain, and only 100,000 were made by Remington.

If you can keep the Remington made bayonet and scabbard together, so much the better.

Regards,

LF

There is not enough of this type of post - many thanks for sharing.

Thought it might be useful to link THIS THREAD here given the discussion of Pattern 13 bayonets.

Chris

Trajan,

The Trials P1913 bayonet was made to go with the experimental Pattern 1913 Rifle produced in .276 calibre, of which some 1251 were made and each rifle had a matching P1913 Trials bayonet serial numbered to the rifle.... Attached are 2 photos of the Trials P1913 bayonet with the hooked quillion, one is in the Pattern Room at Enfield and another is in The Imperial War Museum, so keep your eyes open for any of the others!

Regards,

LF

Thanks LF, and I'll keep an eye open for one!

Thought it might be useful to link THIS THREAD here given the discussion of Pattern 13 bayonets.

Chris

Thanks Chris ... and a :blush: as I see that I did have some of that information at the back of my noddle... Must have got pushed aside and down-filed as I got more and more into German Ersatz and Ottoman bayonets...