Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My Webley WG Army Model & Holster

J.D.

Hi from Australia everyone,

My first post here so thought I'd share my latest acquisition that I got yesterday with you Guys.

It's a Webley WG Army Model that is in very good condition. I was going to look at some MKVI's but when he pulled this one out I was in love & to top it off it came with the holster & ammo pouch !!! The WG is marked 450/455 & has a bit of wear on the outside of the revolver but nothing serious & the barrel is mint. Is there anyway of finding out when my revolver was made ? The serial number is 207## if that helps ? I'm having trouble finding out about this model as all my books only cover the MKVI & the MKIV 38/200 but from what I have found on the web they only talk about the ones marked 455/476 so I'm lost !!!!

The holster & the cartridge pouch are in great condition & you can tell the revolver & holster have been together for a very long time as the WG just slides into the holster & all the marks & creases line up. The only marks on the holster that I can find are the CXA in a diamond shaped outline & what look like a U with a broadarrow in the middle of the U on the strap ?

Any help & information on my new toys would be greatly appreciated.

Enjoy the pics

JD

P3180744_zpsc8e36fb1.jpg

P3180745_zps3844ed6e.jpg

P3180746_zpsf710c79c.jpg

P3180748_zps7709d939.jpg

P3180749_zps3107645e.jpg

J.D.,

From the style of the cylinder, you have an excellent Webley W.G. Army 1896 Model service revolver with vulcanite ( birdshead ) grips in 450/455 calibre. Recorded serial numbers for this model ranged from 10306 to 22126, which includes your serial number.

You also have the equally excellent Pistol Case/Holster and Cartridge Pouch. The ' U ' mark with the arrow inside, is the Union of South Africa service mark, which shows that the holster and the revolver saw service in South Africa around the turn of the century.

The 450/455 refers to the calibre of the revolver.

In all you have a superb and extremely rare and highly desirable set, many congratulations on owning it.

Attached is a photo of my Webley W.G. Army Model.

Regards,

LF

post-63666-0-39542500-1395151480_thumb.j

Thanks LF,

I had read your post on your WG & that's what made me ask the questions & put up the pics of mine.

Your WG & case is VERY NICE :thumbsup: Thanks for sharing.

All the best

JD

I had read your post on your WG & that's what made me ask the questions & put up the pics of mine.

Following the second Boer War, the Union of South Africa was formed in 1910 and became a Dominon of the British Empire, so your holster dates from that time.

I have another holster very similar to yours, with the same double brass ring attachment to the shoulder strap which seems typical for the period, however, instead of the Cartridge Pouch, mine has cartridge loops sewn into the shoulder strap.

When I get a moment, I shall post some photographs.

Regards,

LF

Thanks LF,

I look forward to seeing some pics of your holster when you have time.

Take care.

JD

J.D.,

Looking again at my post # 5, what I should have made clear, was that with the Union of South Africa being formed in 1910, the ' U ' marking on your holster dates from 1910+, whereas the Webley revolver and the holster probably date earlier, perhaps to the Second Boer War.

The Webley revolver was probably brought to South Africa by a British Officer, and remained there, and was then taken into Union of South Africa service.

I have got the holster in question, and will shortly post some photos.

Regards,

LF

LF,

Is there anyway of finding out when my WG was made ?

Thanks for all you help, it's really appreciated.

All the best

JD

Is there anyway of finding out when my WG was made ?

Yes, there is a very helpful chap in the U.K. who has the Webley Archive, and for a modest fee he checks the Archive, and looks for the records relating to a particular revolver based on the revolver's serial number, he has helped me a few times.

With my Webley W.G. Army revolver, he found the date it was sold by Webley, to whom, and the sales price, all very helpful.

My Webley W.G. Army Model was sold by Webley on 27th September, 1909, and had a special order for Walnut grips. The price was 85 Shillings ( 4 pounds 5 shillings ) with 6 pence postage.

You can contact Richard at :-

richard@armsresearch.co.uk

Regards,

LF

Fantastic images and condition - many thanks for sharing.... :thumbsup:

Fantastic images and condition - many thanks for sharing.... :thumbsup:

Thanks so much for your reply.

Yes, there is a very helpful chap in the U.K. who has the Webley Archive, and for a modest fee he checks the Archive, and looks for the records relating to a particular revolver based on the revolver's serial number, he has helped me a few times.

With my Webley W.G. Army revolver, he found the date it was sold by Webley, to whom, and the sales price, all very helpful.

My Webley W.G. Army Model was sold by Webley on 27th September, 1909, and had a special order for Walnut grips. The price was 85 Shillings ( 4 pounds 5 shillings ) with 6 pence postage.

You can contact Richard at :-

richard@armsresearch.co.uk

Regards,

LF

LF, contacted Richard & he got back to me a few hours later but unfortunately the invoice for my WG did not survive :( but he was able to tell me that my WG was made in late 1906 & was sold in September 1907 so at least I know that much.

All the best

JD

my WG was made in late 1906 & was sold in September 1907 so at least I know that much.

All good news, and nice to know.

Regards,

LF

J.D.,

Here is a photo of my Webley .455 over the shoulder holster/pistol case with the 18 x .455 cartridge loops incorporated into the shoulder strap.

The shoulder strap, has those same double ring fittings for attaching to the holster as are shown on your holster.

Regards,

LF

post-63666-0-33363400-1395859621_thumb.j

Thanks for showing me your great holster LF, it is certainly a very nice holster :thumbsup:

All the best.

JD

Thanks for showing me your great holster LF, it is certainly a very nice holster :thumbsup:

All the best.

JD

J.D.,

Pleased you found it of interest, and it is from the same period as your holster.

Regards,

LF

Just saw this mark on the top of the hump on the grip frame below the hammer..

C SARC

P3310761_zps12d4b17c.jpg

Under a magnifying glass it is a C on the end not a G as it looks like in the picture !!!

Any ideas ???

Just saw this mark on the top of the hump on the grip frame below the hammer..

C SARC

J.D.,

Given the revolvers connection to South Africa, the letters ' SA ' could be South African..........something

Also, can you see anywhere on the revolver a set of numbers preceded by the letters ' WR ' ?

Regards,

LF

J.D.,

Given the revolvers connection to South Africa, the letters ' SA ' could be South African..........something

Also, can you see anywhere on the revolver a set of numbers preceded by the letters ' WR ' ?

Regards,

LF

LF no WR anywhere on my WG

These C SARC markings are the only ones that are on it apart from the serial number, 450/455, the P Webley & Sons on the top of the barrel, Webley Patents next to the W&S flying bullet trade mark on the L/H side of the frame & the last 3 digits of the serial number on the bottom of the barrel & on the rear of the cylinder plus 455 on the rear of the cylinder too.

According to Tylden, The Armed Forces of South Africa, C.S.A.R.C. stands for the Central South African Railway Corps. Unit was formed in 1901 and over the years underwent several slight variations to its name. Initially involved with armoured trains. After peace became volunteers and also maintained mounted detachments in Johannesburg and Pretoria. In 1906 became an engineering unit. Appear to have lasted until 1913.

According to Tylden, The Armed Forces of South Africa, C.S.A.R.C. stands for the Central South African Railway Corps. Unit was formed in 1901 and over the years underwent several slight variations to its name. Initially involved with armoured trains. After peace became volunteers and also maintained mounted detachments in Johannesburg and Pretoria. In 1906 became an engineering unit. Appear to have lasted until 1913.

Thanks very much for the informative history, it is very much appreciated.

All the best.

Jason

I would like to post details and photos of another South African WG proved to have belonged to a police officer involved in a well known incident in which it was probably used. Unfortunately, however much I reduce the size of the three photos involved (18.8, 17.8 and 19.4 KB) these are rejected. What is the problem?

I would like to post details and photos of another South African WG proved to have belonged to a police officer involved in a well known incident in which it was probably used. Unfortunately, however much I reduce the size of the three photos involved (18.8, 17.8 and 19.4 KB) these are rejected. What is the problem?

Terrylee,

Would love to see those photos, and at those sizes the photos should have gone through, try posting them one at a time ?

Regards,

LF

I too would very much like to see these photos......PLEASE :thumbsup:

I'll be sending the photos to Lancashire Fusilier to post on my behalf. Apart from the W.G. engraved with Lieutenant-Colonel Fulford's name and Boer War regimental postings, these can include portrait photos of him as a 2nd lieutenant in the Transvaal Constabulary and later as a police captain in 1922 taken shortly following the "Boksburg Incident". Should there be sufficient interest I can also send photos of his initialed police sword and the one he used during the Boer War as a 2nd lieutenant in Steinaecher's Horse. Although the South African Archives prove that he tried to volunteer for service in the First World War, I am afraid that this was not permitted!