Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gewher 98

Hanniballector

This marking on the disk ( 11.R.1.41 ) looks to have been stamped strictly in accordance with regulations, so it is relatively straightforward to decode.

It will of course indicate the Grenadier-Regt. König Friedrich III (2.Schlesisches) Nr.11 (Breslau) VI Armee Korps, as was initially suggested by Trajan.

The Grenadier regiments did not include the letter G as this was used to indicate Garde regiments. In this case the Grenadier was treated as Infanterie.

Cheers, S>S

Thank you for that Shippingsteel! I found some G for Garde markings but I couldn't find anything that might be Grenadier markings, and I was beginning to wonder what was what!

Trajan

Hi too you all.

Thank you for your wisdom on the regiment the g 98 was issued too . My apologies to Trajan I thank you for your insight and knowledge this has been very interesting as this regiment did see active service during the conflict...

Thanks owed really to S>S>, for confirming the marking... I was poddling along thinking about the regimental number and not thinking about the fact that a Grenadier regiment might use a different lettering system... You put the cat among the pigeons there, but S>S> came to the rescue! Just goes to show that on GWF we all learn much from everyone's contributions

Trajan

Hi

Are their any records of where and what the first company of the Grenadier regiment NR 11 did during the First World War. Can the person or person's be traced through the weapon number 41? Are any of you up for the challenge, you being certainly more intellectually adapted for it ! . Many thanks for your help again.

Nick.

Hi

The 6th armee korpes became the

Forth in1914 but did the regiment and company keep its identity under the 4th ?

Thanks

Hi

Are their any records of where and what the first company of the Grenadier regiment NR 11 did during the First World War. Can the person or person's be traced through the weapon number 41? Are any of you up for the challenge, you being certainly more intellectually adapted for it ! . Many thanks for your help again.

Nick.

I would doubt that any records still exist of where individual companies saw action, but I don't know for certain, and although IIRC, in the WWII Wehrmacht weapons numbers were written in a soldiers "Soldbüch", I don't know what the practice was in WWI. That aside, thanks for the compliment, but in this kind of game we are all on the same intellectual level! I find it just nice to follow things through, my real specialty being tracing the whereabouts of the Roman army's auxiliary troops!

Hi

The 6th armee korpes became the

Forth in1914 but did the regiment and company keep its identity under the 4th ?

Thanks

Honestly I have no idea, but I'll try and find out... Where, though, did you get that information from?

Trajan

Hi Trajan

The complement came because I read a debate you and s/s on bayonet markings had a couple days ago. I was Very impressive by the depth and intellect you both seem too have. It was clear the degree level of communication going on ! So it's wiki where I read about the 6th being incorporated into the 4th as shown .http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/VI_Corps_(German_Empire) look forward to your thoughts on this . Something else of interest was the grenadier regiment in question was involved in the Christmases truce of 1914 and fought as I'm sure you know at the some. See attch.http://m.inf-regt-nr-10.page.tl/Regimental-History.htm .