Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Iron Cross Awards Certificate

mcderms

The image below should show details of an IC award to an NCO during the latter stages of the battle of the Somme. I think - it could be a coffee making award to a German boy scout for all I know! My Deutsch and gothic caligraphy skills are not great so can anyone help me out here?

post-23-1097417820.jpg

Looks like Iron Cross 2nd Class & served with the Bavarian replacement Division.

My written German is absolutely awful so sorry. Mind you coming from Norfolk my written English is not much better. :P

All The Best

Chris

Not sure how much help this will be to the Germano-philes out there but the chap to whom the IC was awarded traded the medal, his Nazi and Volksturm armbands and some badges to my great-uncle at the end of WW2. Family memory has this in Berlin in 1945. My relative was special forces and got there just after the Russkis. Anyway, the other bits sans swastika armbad are below. I am trying to find out more about this soldier - felt I needed a challenge!

post-23-1097419573.jpg

the 2 top badges are & please excuse my terrible German:-

Association(or Club) of Friends of the Steel Helmet

Be back in a minute got to check a book for the other badge

All The Best

Chris

The badge with the steel helmet imposed over a Swastika - what is the writing at the bottom - it is indistinct on the photo

All The Best

Chris

The two pins/badge is one of many veterans clubs formed after WW1 called Der Stahlhelm I am sure a search of the net would yeld results. The little round one I think is along the same lines but I can not read the bottom to know for sure.

Best regards

N.S.Regt.

Guest Chip Minx

The Iron Cross 2nd class document is to Gefreiter (corporal) of the Landwehr Karl Westädt, Preuß.(Baden) Ersatz Inf.Regt.28., 7.Komp., Bavarian Ersatz Division. This division was composite division, made up from Bavarian, Baden and Württemberg units. At the time that the award was given, the division was in the Fresnes-en-Woevre-Ronvaux sector. It is signed by the unit commander, General Leutnant Kiefhaber.

Chip

The writing on the round badge looks like "N. S. D. F. B. St.".

They all came with a Nazi and Volksturm armbands so I am wondering if this guy was active in post WW1 veterans groups and maybe an early Facist? If I could decipher the name on the certificate, that would be a head start.