Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Neuve Chapelle Indian Memorial

chrisharley9

On visiting this memorial I notice the plaque commemorating 210 Indian servicemen who perished in captivity & were buried at Zehrensdorf in Germany. what happened to these graves - does any pal know

All The Best

Chris

The Neuve-Chapelle (Zehrensdorf Indian Cemetery) Memorial was erected in 1964 and takes the form of a bronze panel.

Zehrensdorf is about 40km south of Berlin and was in the former East Germany. The cemetery was used for Indian PoWs. Post WW2, CWGC was not allowed to have access to the cemetery and therefore the graves were declared unmaintainable - hence the new memorial at Neuve Chapelle.

The Memorial commemorates 206 soldiers.

I do not know the fate of the actual graves but as CWGC has not reinstated the cemetery as with those elsewhere in the former Soviet bloc, I presume that they no longer exist.

Terry

Many thanks for a swift reply - like me you are obviously not watching Eastenders :D

All the Best

Chris

I was in the area a few weeks back on a trip. Here is a picture of the memorial on the wall.

Also out side of the cemetery is a memorial stone to a C.a.W.Crchton

And if you are in the area have a look at the Portugues Cemetery just a little walk away.

Keith.

post-19-1097420466.jpg