Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Fired Howitzer Case

calibre792x57.y

There seems to be some interest in shell cases on the forum, so I thought this one might be of interest, and that TonyE could enlighten me on the makers. It was one of about six hundred found in a filled in shell crater at Authuille, on the Somme in 1986. It is a 4.5 inch Howitzer case, dated 1916, and I think this was probably fired in the pre-attack bombardment for the First July 1916, either against Thiepval or Ovilliers. The primer is dated 1/16 and made by E.W.B. Co. The case is marked C.F. as one might expect if it was dumped after firing, and the maker is WFSC. Of interest in view of a recent discussion on the durabiity of paint is the stencilled red paint on the base still legible despite being buried for seventy years. - SW

post-47661-0-29819900-1394993838_thumb.j

Indeed! If your assumption of date of firing is correct and in view of the quantitiy found, I suppose it cou;d be near a battery location. Given the location of the find. Haig's artillery maps (on a WFA DVD) might provide confirmation. If that is so it is suprising that they were not salvaged when the Somme operation came to an end, if not before. That is sheer conjecture of course.

Old Tom

Old Tom, my assumption is based upon the date of the primer, 1/16, and case, 1916, the location and the range of the howitzer, about 7,000 yds. There were a number of other items in the hole including a pendulum sight for the Hales Number 3 rifle grenade, and an old cast iron cooker.. The case is marked C.F. so does not appear to have been re-filled and re-issued. All the cases which I examined all seem to be in similar condition although I only glanced at half a dozen when confronted with the man high pile. I have now found that the primer was U.S. made, said to be E.W. Bliss & Co. Brooklyn, New York, so I presume the case will also be American. - SW

"EWB" is indeed E.W.Bliss & Co., part of the Bethlehem Steel Corporation in the USA.(not just said to be). The case is not necessarily American though.

I have not so far been able to identify the maker, WFSC, but will keep looking!

Regards

TonyE

Looking through the contracts list, are you sure that the stamp is not "WPSC", which is Worcester Pressed Steel Company, Worcester, Mass., USA?

Regards

TonyE

Tony. Apologies - looking under a magnifying glass the initials are indeed 'WPSC'. The loop of the 'P' was difficult to distinguish from the machine marks. Thank you for the information. (I knew you would come good!) - SW

If anyone has/finds one with E.RY on the bottom I would be VERY interested.... (Already managed to find x2 18 pounders)