Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Brigata Umbria

JulianB

I'm not sure whether I should be here or in "other theatres", nevermind.

My grandfather's unit took over from this brigade in Italy in 1917. I'm therefore curious about them and wonder if anyone can tell me anything about them, ORBAT etc. In fact I seem to have found very little about Italian dispositions in that area. The only other mention of Italian units in my grandfather's letters is to a Lancer Regiment (otherwise unidentified) in the area .

thanks

Julian

Julian

This information is provided by a colleague, Maurizio Bragaglia:

"Raised in April 1861, on two Regiments 53rd and 54th.

Campaigns: 1866, Eitrea/Ethiopia 1887-88 and 1896-7, Libia 1911-1912 apparently with no particular distinction (no decorations to the units' flags).

Part of the 1st Div, I Army Corps,4th Army in WWI.

Deployed in the upper Boite Valley,July 1915 to the Ansiei sector,then Lower Mt.Piana; until Caporetto fought between the Popena Valley and the Rimbianco one.

November 1917 (no mention of Caporetto) in the Nervesa sector and then in

the Grappa-Monfenera area.

Had a good fight at the June 1918 Piave battle, did held the enemy attacks in August 1918 on Col de l'Orso-Mount Solarolo and took important enemy positions.

Overall one citation in the Bulletins (Sep.1917) and 1 Silver Medal (2nd highest) to the 54th Rgt flag.

Total losses (d.+w.+mia) during the war 3,300 all ranks .

I would guess this one spent most of the war in "quiet" sectors until Caporetto, had

to fall back to avoid being cut off and started fighting seriously on the Piave.

Also losses are less than 100% of initial TO&E, while most brigades on the Isonzo front had 300% plus in the period 1915/17 (before Caporetto).

In 1918 must have had a high percentage of veterans (compared to the Isonzo

brigades) due to relatively low losses.Not an outstanding one for sure."

Hope this is helpful. If so, I will forward your comments to Maurizio.

Robert

Thank you very much indeed, just what I wanted. Thanks to Maurizio also.

I'm afraid I have no more than "took over from BU" and only other mention of Italian unit - Lancers, being that they had dinner with them in Jan 1918.

Thanks anyway

Julian

• 1 year later...

Robert,

I am currently researching Italian Infantry Units of World War 1 and came across this old post of yours while searching the forum for relevant references.

I wonder if your colleague could possibly help me with some queries I have and also in tracking down information sources in respect of the Italian Army between 1915 and 1918?

Specifically, I am trying to track down a comprehensive source regarding the history and deployment of the 324 or so Militizia Territoriale battalions and also for war time raised 4th and 5th battalions for those infantry regiments that did not have them in 1915.

Amongst the information sources I have used to date is the multi volume Italian Official History 'L'Esercito Italiano nella Grande Guerra' but I cannot trace any copies of Volume V, tomo 1, bis & ter (January to June 1918) in this country. Would he know where they could be found?

Thanks,

Martin James

Julian

This information is provided by a colleague, Maurizio Bragaglia:

"Raised in April 1861, on two Regiments 53rd and 54th.

Campaigns: 1866, Eitrea/Ethiopia 1887-88 and 1896-7, Libia 1911-1912 apparently with no particular distinction (no decorations to the units' flags).

Part of the 1st Div, I Army Corps,4th Army in WWI.

Deployed in the upper Boite Valley,July 1915 to the Ansiei sector,then Lower Mt.Piana; until Caporetto fought between the Popena Valley and the Rimbianco one.

November 1917 (no mention of Caporetto) in the Nervesa sector and then in

the Grappa-Monfenera area.

Had a good fight at the June 1918 Piave battle, did held the enemy attacks in August 1918 on Col de l'Orso-Mount Solarolo and took important enemy positions.

Overall one citation in the Bulletins (Sep.1917) and 1 Silver Medal (2nd highest) to the 54th Rgt flag.

Total losses (d.+w.+mia) during the war 3,300 all ranks .

I would guess this one spent most of the war in "quiet" sectors until Caporetto, had

to fall back to avoid being cut off and started fighting seriously on the Piave.

Also losses are less than 100% of initial TO&E, while most brigades on the Isonzo front had 300% plus in the period 1915/17 (before Caporetto).

In 1918 must have had a high percentage of veterans (compared to the Isonzo

brigades) due to relatively low losses.Not an outstanding one for sure."

Hope this is helpful. If so, I will forward your comments to Maurizio.

Robert

• 4 years later...

My grandfather left england and joined the 53rd infantry regiment "Umbria Brigade" on June 15th 1918 he was in the Machine gun section and fought at Costalunga Osteria del Monfenera near Monte Grappa,Vicenza untill August 1918 .Doe,s any one have any info on the fighting in this sector during this period?

Regards Lion

• 2 weeks later...

Martin, I will check with Maurizio. Fingers crossed.

Robert

Robert

I came across this thread while looking for something else and wondered if your friend could guide me as to how I can track down my grandfather who, as a foreign national left England to join the Italian army - I know he saw action between 1914 - 18 but I don't know where, when he joined, what rank etc etc.

I though maybe he could point me in the right direction to start looking.

By the way his name was Domenico Fella.

Thanks.