Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Was he the Best?

Guest British Frontier

Guest British Frontier

Frederick Lambart, 10th Earl of Cavan.

Brought back from retirement at 48 in 1914 and rose to become one of the British Army's more successful commanders during the First World War.

June 1915 saw Lambart promoted to command of 50th Division; a mere two months on he was appointed the first commander of the Guards Division.

The following January, 1916, Lambart was placed at the head of XIV Corps, a command he held until March 1918, during which time he established a deserved reputation as perhaps the best corps commander on the Western Front. In March 1918 Lambart was formally appointed Commander-in-Chief of British forces on the Italian Front.

It was in this capacity that Lambart led the Italian Tenth Army which struck a decisive bow at the Battle of Vittorio Veneto. The action which sounded the final death blow of the Austro-Hungarian Army towards the close of the war

(what do you think especially in comparison to Monash & Currie, thx)

I think he certainly comes below these two and Maxse some others would need debating further.

As for his term as CIGS well it does not get good reviews, but then thats not the question i guess.

So I would say thats a NO.

regards

Arm.

Guest British Frontier

This is the trouble with British commanders. If they weren't part of the "establishment" in those archaic ways of doing things then they wouldn't have a high command. Aswell as subordinates were not allowed to "think" - thus certainly not allowed to undermine a crazy commander.

Anyway what Firstworldwar said can't be far wrong...streuth cut it out will ya being so negative!!

Todays British military commanders have "free enterprise" - brought through the ranks from of ordinary soldiers with ability. That's why they have done a perfect job n Basra than the Americans in Baghdad and lost hardly any men in ambushes and militia assaults. The British army has always had a disciplined and terrier like manner in accomplishing its objective.

the trouble with you as an englishman you are always finding fault with ourselves which is bad enough when the Canadians and Aussies are waiting to pounce on us too. No wonder we feel comfortable with the USA as they are never so petty like those insecure nations are. I will never respect the Canadians and Aussies because they snipe at the British everywhere you go in other forums. You shouldn't feed them. besides after all the Canadians and Aussies ONLY had the better preperation that's all. Besides British officers prepared those armies too because they were allowed to "think". Anyway they were all British born canucks and Aussies anyway so what's with their ego for crying out loud??? Just shows what the British soldier can do when he has confidence in those who know what they are doing. There was nothing ever wrong with the British trooper as history shows in battles other than what is known about WW I.

The guys today are just the same on the street as Canucks and Aussies. It's the spoon in the mouth of the english hierarchy who are not me or you. they are the wasters not the British trooper. I'm glad for the most part those things have changed today.

http://www.expage.com/britishcombat

In the process of making a proper site but all this info over world war 1 is too deep to even bother with. There's more to the British than this. Only certain facts are enough to make the British stand up coz every nation has there faults. Look at how the Aussies strugled against the Italian divisions on the Africa campaign ww 2

Anyway what Firstworldwar said can't be far wrong...streuth cut it out will ya being so negative!!

What pray was negative in my post?

You asked a question and i answered it, not as an Englishman, a Brit or as a European but as a Historian of the Generals of the great War. I see not Currie, Monash or Maxse as Canadian, Australian, or British but first and formost as Commanders.

And inter country rivalry is good for pounding the chest and patriotic furvour but it should end there i for one am proud to be British, but I am also glad and happy to say that the Canadians and the Aussies stood shoulder to shoulder with us when it mattered. thank God!

As for your other comments, it is for another forum not this one.

regards

Arm.