Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2 nd battllion wilts regiment

My grandfather Ernest William White 5814 joined the 2nd battalion wilts reg at devizes barracks in devizes in 1901 and was sent to India and various postings , In 1914 whilst on leave he married Beatrice Mary green from stour ton wiltshire in stourhead church in his army uniform , at the latter part of 1914 he was informed that he was being posted to Belgium and at the great battle in span broek molen he was selected for a machine party to attack the german lines , of the 30 party selected only four returned lieutenant Martin was shot some men tried to get to the machine gun but were killed , my grandfather managed to get to the gun and held the post until darkness when they were relieved , for their actions lieutenant Martin was awarded the VC , my grandfather was awarded the DCM , within the week of winning the DCM which was the 12 march 1915 his wife died in childbirth at stourton. The little girl lived.

Through circumstances my grandfather stayed in the army his last posting was to Hong Kong still in the Far East in 1920 . In 1919 he married his second wife at lullington church which is near Frome somerset , my grandmother, then he was sent to the Far East ,there he was given a large clock by the corporals of the mess as a token of esteem, all in my possestion ..

Welcome to the forum

Was there something specific about his medals you wanted to know ?

Welcome to the forumWas there something specific about his medals you wanted to know ?

Hello sir ,,my topic was for general information for all ,,it just seemed strange for the corporals to collect moneys for to give him a marble clock with a statue on the top, also attached is a solid silver plaque which says, presented to lance corporal e w white as a token of esteem from the corporals of the 2nd batt wilts regiment Hong Kong 20/03/20,, must have been a special man