Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

An interesting 1888

trajan

Most of the stuff I find is, well, to be honest, not in the best of condition and rarely of more than average interest (my Greek collection aside and especially my very rare unaltered Y 1903's!). But this one makes a break from the usual...

So, an Enfield-made 1888, 10/96, with a scabbard that is also Enfield made and marked '98 or '99 (or just possibly 08 or 09). The bayonet has a right-hand side pommel marking, a single '5', and the scabbard throat piece is numbered '802', so certainly non-matching!

But look at that nice little mark on the left-hand side of the pommel, close to the grip, and look at what was the earlier letter-marking on the scabbard throat piece...

I leave it to the cognoscenti to make the final verdict as I post the first photograph!

Trajan

post-69449-0-13474600-1394726802_thumb.j

post-69449-0-28623900-1394727372_thumb.jAnd here is the next one...

And finally, the last one...

post-69449-0-97390600-1394727454_thumb.j

There seem to be small 'N' marks on either side of the throat, one of them partly obliterated by the '802' serial number...

I think that this is a rather a rare and unusual find - a naval 1888 - but I leave it to you folks out there, for example, 4th Gordons, Jscott, sawdoc, sommewalker, Shippingsteel, etc., to verify - or send me into the (metaphorical) depths of despair...

I am teaching mythology this semester and doing predestination this week (and ma-in-law here as well!), so I can take what the team thinks... :unsure:

I have just checked with Skennerton and Richardson, p.172, who say there were only about 575,000 P 1888 'Mk I 2nd types' made at Enfield. The scabbard frog stud, BTW, is not chequered as per S&R p. 172, but they seem to be referring to a specific Naval scabbard, approved 23 September with this refinement.

Interesting! Old Smithy, at http://www.old-smithy.info/bayonets/1888%20and%201903.htm shows two Naval marked P 1888's, one with the same pommel mark as mine, both in WWII made scabbards(!), one certainly marked 1939, and adds: "these bayonets were used in the UK by Naval shore based troops during WWII". Well, no doubt about the scabbards being WWII period - but the 'N' markings on the bayonets? Pre-WWII or not?

Trajan

PS: Just seen that zephry4 has one like this on http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=194834&page=5

• 2 weeks later...

...the 'N' markings on the bayonets? Pre-WWII or not?

So, has anyone an answer to this question? Are 'N' for Navy marked 1888 bayonets certainly WWII re-issues or doe nobody know?

TIA, Trajan

Hi Trajan,

Surely they will be pre WW 1. Actually have just obtained one today, dated 10 '94, but the key thing about this bayonet is that on the opposite side of the pommel to the N stamp, it is marked R N B for Royal Naval Brigade. This article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/63rd_%28Royal_Naval%29_Division

talks about the Royal Naval Division not having SMLE's, so I am assuming that my bayonet was stamped at the beginning of WW 1 when the R N B was formed for service on land.

Cheers,

TONY

http://www.edgedweapons.nl/en/bayonets-for-sale/england-1800-1900/england-m-1888-mki-second-type-navy-marked-with-naval-pattern-mkiii-scabbard-detail

Have a look at this one for sale. The Naval pattern scabbard is stamped up with the N as per the pommel, so this must date from before WW 1, can't quite read the scabbard date.

Cheers,

Tony

Thanks for those links Tony! And your 10 '94 marked R N B for Royal Naval Brigade sounds very nice!!!

I don't have a chance to look right now but I think Shipping steel put up something somewhere on how to identify scabbards that were made post-WW1 for re-issued 1888 bayonets - something to do with the type of locket? I have no doubt from the existence of these scabbards that P 1888's saw service in WWII, and presumably with harbour guards and the like, as Old Smithy indicates, but I would really like clarification on when the 'N' mark was done - i.e., is this a pre-WWI marking or was it added later? I guess a clue as to the latter idea would be an 'N' marked bayonet that has earlier army markings scrubbed out - but even that would mean nothing more than at some unknown date redundant army P 1888's were re-issued to naval units...

Julian

... I don't have a chance to look right now but I think Shipping steel put up something somewhere on how to identify scabbards that were made post-WW1 for re-issued 1888 bayonets - something to do with the type of locket?

I think that this is what I was thinking off - http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=194834&hl=%20bayonet%20%20scabbards&page=4

See post 97 therein, where SS reported on shortened 1907 scabbards suitable for the P 1888, noting that you can tell the difference "...by the length of topmount, the size of the teardrop stud, and shape of the chape".

Khaki, that sounds a nice one! Will you post a piccie pretty please? :) Actually, it might even be a good idea to start a P 1903 thread??

Hello Trajan,

I certainly will endeavor to provide you with a photo asap, it may take me a few days as things are a bit hectic here right now

khaki

Nice one Khaki! :thumbsup: I expect SS will have a few things to say on that one - he loves these re-issue marks on the UK bayonets!

Additional information to photos, button side of pommel J P over 218 (number lined out)

right side of pommel RN over 338 (small and below oil hole) over 251 (number large and lined out)

blade Sanderson Sheffield

Hope this is of some interest

khaki

As I said earlier, these ricasso markings are very much SS's forte, so let's wait to hear from him. They are nice though, and I like the clarity of that Sanderson mark!

Trajan

Not really a lot to add, but it is a nicely marked Sanderson who had their own unique marks. Looks like it was a newly made P1903 and not a converted type.

It has the Sanderson Crown/S inspection mark, the Birmingham style Broad Arrow, and the uniquely styled Bend Test X ... all very different to Enfield marks.

Also features 2 reissue markings in '07 and '08 with their matching inspection stamps. Can't really comment on the other 'unit' stamps without seeing clearly.

Cheers, S>S

Quite interesting, really, that issue history. Made in September 1903, reissued sometime in 1907, and then again soon after sometime in 1908 - can't help but speculate that this was because the unit then using it had just received the P.1907 bayonet?

SS - is it usual or common or what for these earlier re-issue marks NOT to have the month indicated? IIRC, I have seen something like this on some other bayonets, which I think were P 1888's...

Oh, yes, and Khaki, any chance of a better photograph of those pommel marks?

Trajan

Thanks I'll see what I can do, but I am using a cell phone camera, I was a bit disappointed that the crown ER which is very faint did not show on the photo.

khaki

Thanks I'll see what I can do, but I am using a cell phone camera, I was a bit disappointed that the crown ER which is very faint did not show on the photo.

khaki

Not so much the crowned ER that's the problem, more the RN lettering... This is not my field at all - SS is the man for these - but the letters do seem rather large for a regular unit marking. The rest, the numbers, seem ok to me, as usual weapon numbers. It's just that RN marking that seems odd - and I would take the liberty to guess that's what A.N.Other might want to know more about.

TTFN!

Trajan

I don't know if I can improve much on the pommel image, as it is sort of rounded and dark I found it quite difficult to capture even though I used a macro setting on my cellphone camera. It is what it is, and I cannot find anything about it re., the stamp RN, it may be a one off, it wasn't a particularly expensive blade so I am interested in it but not concerned about it, it does show age, consistant with all the other markings.

khaki