Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Skipman

I am looking for the diary of the 45th Trench Mortar Battery, of 45th Brigade, The 15th (Scottish) Division

Is there a diary specifically for that battery, and if so, has it been digitised, and is it on one of these pages? Click

Mike

I have just downloaded the 45th TMB diary. The diary goes from 28/2/1916 straight to 1/7/1916 with no dates in between. I am researching a man from the 6th Cameron Highlanders who was attached to the 45th TMB and who was killed in action on the 27th of June 1916.

Is it just that there has been a mistake in the digitisation, or are there no diary entries for February March, April, May and June?

Cheers Mike

Hi Mike

I think this man must be John Munro. The 6th Camerons carried out a raid that night (which was presumably supported by trench mortars) so it is possible he was killed while supporting the raid made by his old unit. Just a though.

Patrick

Patrick, it is indeed John Munro, killed in his first day with the 45th TMB. There doesn't appear to be an entry for this date, and for months actually. I don't have the 6th Diary yet, but will get it. Thanks for that. Interesting.

Cheers Mike

• Admin

Mike

I'd contact TNA and ask them to check the file. A few diaries do have months missing but they are normally included in the description. It may be that they aren't aware of hte missing pages or it could be the new digitisation process.

Glen

• 3 weeks later...

I have just received a reply from TNA, and the pages digitised were the total that exists for the Diary. They do not know how or when any pages went missing. Does anyone know why these months might be missing? Is it possible they were never written?

Can anyone help further with a contact for the original regiment. Might there be a copy somewhere?

Cheers Mike