Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal index card

margarethurst

Can anyone decipher the words at the bottom of this card. I think it says something like;

(O7C no & reci Preston fwds nom roll of India entitled to the emblem 17.06 20)

this man enrolled in the 8th Battalion, Kings Own Royal Lancashire Regiment in Manchester Sept 1914 and was killed in action 10th May 1917.

Margaret

post-98831-0-95260800-1394577495_thumb.j

O/C [Officer Commanding] No 2 Records Preston [One of the Army Records Centres for Infantry - based in Fulwood Barracks] forwards nominal roll of individuals [?] entitled to the emblem - 17th June 1920

Dave Swarbrick

(O7C no & reci Preston fwds nom roll of India entitled to the emblem 17.06 20)

Officer Commanding No 2 Records Preston forwards Nominal Roll of individuals entitled to the Emblem 17/6/20

Kath.

Officer in charge No2 Records Preston forwards Nominal Roll of ? entitled to Emblem?

Thanks folks

I've got it he was mentioned in dispatches twice and entitled to the Oak Leaf emblem on his ribbon.

Margaret

... and fairly fast work too, the emblem was sent under Issue Voucher (IV) 816 on 30 July 1920 - at the bottom of the card front.

Unusual that it took exactly a year for him to get to France.

HOWARD, SAMUEL. Rank: Serjeant. Service No: 14426. Date of Death: 10/05/1917. Age: 25.
Regiment/Service: King's Own (Royal Lancaster Regiment). "A" Coy. 8th Bn.. Awards: Twice Mentioned in Despatches
Grave Reference: V. E. 1. Cemetery: FAUBOURG D'AMIENS CEMETERY, ARRAS
Additional Information: Son of Samuel and Lettice Howard, of 99, Mount Pleasant Rd., Denton, Manchester. Enlisted Sept.,1914.
Did you know about his brother?
HOWARD, RAYMOND. Rank: Rifleman. Service No: B/1819. Date of Death: 30/07/1915. Age: 19.
Regiment/Service: Rifle Brigade. "C" Coy. 7th Bn.
Panel Reference: Panel 46 - 48 and 50. Memorial: YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL
Additional Information: Son of Samuel and Lettice Howard, of 99, Mount Pleasant Rd., Denton, Manchester.
and these must be relatives, also with bravery medals
HOWARD, HARRY. Rank: Serjeant. Service No: 40340. Date of Death: 09/08/1918. Age: 33.
Regiment/Service: Manchester Regiment. 20th Bn. Awards: M M
Panel Reference: Memorial: GIAVERA MEMORIAL:
Additional Information: Son of William and the late Annie Howard, of 93, Ashton Road, Denton, nr. Manchester.
HOWARD, HARRY. Rank: Private. Service No: 31057. Date of Death: 31/03/1918. Age: 19.
Regiment/Service: East Lancashire Regiment. 2nd/5th Bn.
Panel Reference: Panel 42 and 43. Memorial: POZIERES MEMORIAL
Additional Information: Son of John and Mary Elizabeth Howard. of 106, Acre St., Denton, Manchester.

Samuel & Raymond are on our School Memorial, I am researching all the fallen of the village for the centenery of WW1. Raymond's Service records are online but not Samuels. I also looked up the 7th Rifle brigade for the day Raymond died 30th July 1915 and it was the first time the Germans used flamethrowers.

"They fought in the The Action of Hooge, being the first division to be attacked by flamethrowers."

this is my first venture into military history and I find this site invaluable.