Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tracing citation for an MM

vintagescubaman

I have recently acquired an MM to private E Dryden 21146, I have discovered from forces war records that he was awarded the medal twice, but only the second gazette entry is showing up. This records that it was gazetted on 28/3/1919, page 4129, for service in Italy. I have searched the gazette for the original award but nothing has shown up. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I was also wondering if it would be possible to trace the original citations, although I know this can be difficult.

Any advice gratefully received!

Page 4121 of the same issue of the London Gazette gives the names of men awarded a bar to their M.M.s. If your man was being awarded a second M.M. he would have been amongst these.

The men on page 4129 are receiving it for the first time

I suggest he was only awarded one Military Medal.

Martin

The war diary may help

Here is the entry from forces war records

Gazette Info: Gazette Number 31257, Military Medal, His majesty the King has been graciously pleased to approve the award of a Second Bar to the Military Medal to the undermentioned man.

Gazette Date: 28/03/1919

Gazette Page: 4129

Duty Location: Italy

Service: British Army

Having looked at the gazette entry it is clear that it is indeed a second award, as I read it page 4129 is a continuation from the awards on page 4121, is this right?

• Admin

Here is the entry from forces war records

Gazette Info: Gazette Number 31257, Military Medal, His majesty the King has been graciously pleased to approve the award of a Second Bar to the Military Medal to the undermentioned man.

Gazette Date: 28/03/1919

Gazette Page: 4129

Duty Location: Italy

Service: British Army

Having looked at the gazette entry it is clear that it is indeed a second award, as I read it page 4129 is a continuation from the awards on page 4121, is this right?

In a word No, although pretty typical of FWR.

Page 4124 is the start of the list, about halfway down on the left hand column below Pte Hopson who, together with all those above him who are receiving a Bar are given the courtesy of the original decoration. Pte Dryden does not have M.M. after his name.

Ken