Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Captain Harry Francois Devis, Royal Army Medical Corps

elstevo

I'm researching this chap, who was a medical doctor serving with the RAMC. I would like to know when he enlisted and where he served.

He appears in the LG on 4th Feb 1918 having risen to the rank of Temporary Captain on 15th November 1917.

Thanks in advance for any information!

You could try searching Ancestry and The National Archives for information on him.

There's a Medal Index Card on ancestry (search under Harry Francis Devis - they have wrongly indexed it).

Hi, thanks. Yes I have his MIC (and that of his son, Harry Devis, who served in the ASC). I have access to ancestry but nothing else. I'm after anything pertaining to his service with the RAMC.

Cheers

The National Archive is free to search online. You would have to visit to copy his medal roll entry and service record for free (if there is one for him) or you can order copies and pay.

There is a book called Commissioned Officers in the Medical Services of the British Army, 1660-1960, published 1968. I have not read it, so I am unaware of the details of the contents

Another source of information could be copies of Journal of the Royal Army Medical Corps. At least some copies are available at the British Library and a DVD of editions from 1903 may be purchased from the shop of the Army Medical Services Museum

The above information appears on the FIBIS Fibiwiki page Doctor, section "Royal Army Medical Corps and the earlier British Army Medical Services"

http://wiki.fibis.org/index.php/Doctor#Royal_Army_Medical_Corps_and_the_earlier_British_Army_Medical_Services

Cheers

Maureen

elstevo

I seem to recall that Medical Officer service files were not retained after WW1. Can't think why but that is my recall.

If he was retained only for the duration his records will not have survived, IIRC what Pete Starling of the AMS Museum told me once. If he was a career officer and had a longer service there may be something to find.

The National Library of Scotland's digitised Army Lists for the Great War period are available and searchable on https://archive.org/

sJ