Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rochdale - street/trade directory sought

John_Hartley

I have a photo which I'm pretty sure was taken in Rochdale in 1918.

It shows a long food queue outside a grocers. The name of the shop isnt shown but the next door shop, at No. 26, is a shoe shop called W & J Wallace. I see internet references to this company, which Is why I'm pretty sure its in Rochdale, although the address on the internet references is 47 Yorkshire Street (presumably a later address or a renumbering of the road).

Does anyone know of the existance of a street or trade directory for the town which may help me identify the name of the grocers?

TIA

John

John. My mate is checking his street directory, in the meantime he thinks it may be Duckworths grocery store. Ralph.

Ralph

If it helps, on the other side of Wallace's to the grocery shop is a shop called Browns. Can't make out what they're selling.

John

John. 26A Crawford Street in 1936 = C Hartley Grocers and 26 C Crawford St = John R Hartley grocers.Also sent you a pm. Ralph.

I'm giving up on making a more precise ID than "north west England". Ralp's mate is certain the photo isnt Rochdale and tells me the shoe shop had branches around the region. Although not in Manchester or Salford - I'd already checked the site that Kath links to - which is usually really helpful in ID'ing employers assuming there is a trade directory for your area.

J

• 3 months later...