Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Training trenches at Gosport, Hampshire.

StuartAB

Hah, I pass Browndown twice a day. I'll see if I can spot them!

I'm at Chichester tomorrow, and watching England v Wales on Sunday, but methinks I may well be browsing around Browndown on Monday.

Keith

Give us a call if it's between 1200 and 1400, Keith, and we could do lunch at the Bayside Cabin. Or if it's working hours you're welcome to walk to the other end of Stokes Bay and have a look at "my" library.

Hello Jane. Unfortunately, tomorrow has suddenly become rather hectic. Amongst other things, my wife has an appointment at the QA. I shall probably only have time for a quick visit to Browndown, just to confirm where the site is.

Keith

Another day, give me warning and I might be able to join you. Monday is not an option as I said earlier.

Keith

I made a flying visit to the site today. Although it is owned by the MOD, access is permitted to the general pubic, but the going is rather 'iffy'. We spent 15 minutes stumbling through trees and gorse bushes, and the area of the trenches itself is none too level. The trenches I saw were 2 or 3 feet deep and covered in cut-down ferns, but the traverses etc. were definitely visible. The co-ordinates of the 'Trenches' marker on the attached Google Earth screenshot are :

50°47'39.72"N 1°10'26.43"W

post-90858-0-36942000-1394482253_thumb.j

• 3 weeks later...

Just out of interest, it would appear that a lot of people born and bred in this area have always been fully aware of these trenches. I have spoken to a chap who lives in Portsmouth, and he told me that he used to play in them in the 50s. So to describe them as 'lost' is an act of journalistic licence.

Keith