Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st and 1/6th Royal Warwickshire Regiment 1917

Jim Hastings

Dear All,

I am researching the Parish Fallen to help the local primary school with a Year 5 & 6 project, and two men fell with the Warwicks, a Regiment I'm afraid I know very little about other than having read Soldiers from the Wars Returning several years ago. I know there are many Warwicks interested members on the forum and I would greatly appreciate their expertise please

Lt J S Morriss was KIA with 1st Royal Warwicks on 5th October 1917 and

Pte Ernest Skinner DoW with 1/6th Warwicks on 3rd April 1917

I'm assuming Morriss was killed during the Battle of Broodseinde and Skinner from wounds received during the German retreat to the Hindenburg Line? I have traced the men on Ancestry, but would value any details from the War Diaries (or other sources) if anyone has them please. I know as an OR Skinner is unlikely to be mentioned, but Morriss may be. Would appreciate the WD entries for 1st RWR if anyone has them and would kindly post for me.

Many thanks for any time and effort taken on my behalf

Best wishes

Jim

Jim, I have the history of the 1/6th at home and will look this evening if no-one beats me to it.

Afternoon Steven,

Thank you very much, I would appreciate that.

Have a good remainder of the day,

Jim

• Admin

Jim

1st Royal Warwicks had gone up to reinforce 2nd Seaforths near Langemark. Lt Morriss had led 2 strong patrols out to capture2 pill boxes holding up the advance, captured 1 MG, 1 officer and 7 men but was killed by a sniper shortly afterwards.

I'll send you a PM.

Glen

Glen, you are an absolute star!!! Thank you so much, just the sort of info I'm seeking! Sadly, it seems, from such a small village, two of the four officers that fell in combat were victims of a sniper at the height of a courageous action ...

Thanks again Glen, I appreciate it

Best wishes, Jim

Here we are, Jim. It's a slight little volume, but Skinner was one of 2 officers and 14 men who were killed or died of woulds as a result of an action on 1st April.

As part of the pursuit of the German retreat, the 1/6th attacked the village of Epehy.

"The resistance was obstinate, but the elan of the assault was irresistible, and the village, with most of its defenders, a machine gun and a light field gun were all taken by 6.40 a.m. The success was complete and not costly (the Battalion had less than 40 casualties), a triumph of smooth working in sound plan and swift execution. For 36 hours the Battalion held the ground they had won, and then moved into Divisional Reserve ..."

(from The History of the 1/6th Battalion the Royal Warwickshire Regiment anon, Birmingham, Cornish Brothers, 1922)

Brilliant, thank you Steven,

I am really grateful to you for taking the time to find the information and for writing the entry out for me, a great help. I had a bit of a scare this afternoon as the memorial on the village hall had the man listed as having been in the Worcesters, but I checked and double checked and he was a 1/6th Warwicks man.

My appreciation again Steven

All the best

Jim

He's definitely in the Roll of Honour - number 242851.

Quadruple confirmation, thank you very much gentlemen! The memorial on the village hall is dated 1923, so I'll mention it to the powers that be, but know and can appreciate that there will be no correction to it. The Regt. is correct for the Church memorial at least

Thanks again Steven and Glen

Jim