Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Please identify possible Iron Cross ?

EleanorPreece

Hello All

This medal was found this weekend in a small suitcase along with a family bible and photos etc it has been in my Grandmothers wardobe for years and years and we believe that the medal belonged to my Great Great Uncle Leonard Ellis of the Kings Royal Rifles. I have spent a few hours looking online for for it and can find similar but not exact versions of it. The initials on the reverse side are R C. Knowing a lot about our family history but nothing about insignia I was hoping someone could help please ?

Many thanks in advance :)

post-96340-0-59526400-1393801596_thumb.j

post-96340-0-45982900-1393801602_thumb.j

Yes hard to see it's a bit battered !

hmm they are a little fancier, this is very plain with slightly thicker arm crosses ?! arm sections ? lol

the edging is completely plain just a line around the edges.

Do a google of Iron Cross 1914 or Iron Cross WW1. There will be medal dealers showing pics and descriptions. Maybe yours is just well worn.

Thank you I will keep looking, i think there is molten metal or something stuck over the 9 ! Obviously the chap took a battering ! :/

It is certainly not a real Iron Cross but is based on one. During the war numerous spoof Iron Crosses were produced by the Allies
see here

It could also simply be a poor copy Iron Cross produced as a souvenir. What is the medallion made from?

Sepoy

Here is the obverse of a real Iron Cross 2nd Class (on modern ribbon)

post-55476-0-01607800-1393803578_thumb.j

ahh oh I am not sure it is reasonably weighty how might I find out ?

Here is the reverse of a real Iron Cross (which needs a bit of a clean). Notice that the centre is mounted in a nickel silver frame.

If yours is a lead copy, the cross may feel bendy.

Sepoy

post-55476-0-17914900-1393803707_thumb.j

There is a little shop in Sidmouth Devon that has uniforms in the window and I believe might be a dealer of medals, i might try and get into to see him, Thank you all for your really quick replies much appreciated !

In your photo the top of the arms don't look symmetrical. Could just be the angle of the shot? On closer inspection the W is in a different font.

Sepoy has probably got it right.

Thanks for posting as it reminded me that I have one lying around somewhere.

yes wonky camera angle on my phone, I am sure you are right the pictures online are much fancier ! I will keep it with his pictures it's a shame we havent found any of his medals but i am sure the nanna wlil have another suitcase or box squirreled away ! Thanks again for your help chaps :)

Come back and let us know what you find out and if any other WW1 items or pics turn up.

It

It is certainly not a real Iron Cross but is based on one. During the war numerous spoof Iron Crosses were produced by the Allies
see here
Sepoy

I agree there were numerous spoof Iron Cross medals made, crudely cast, often with a legend such as 'fur kultur' or 'fur der kaiser' or some such theme, there is a collector on the forum who has an outstanding collection of them. They were for propaganda purposes but exactly how they were utilized I am not sure.

khaki

Thank you I will let you know anything I find out.