Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mills Bomb Request

Peter Zieminski

Can members please assist in helping to identify the significance of the following markings on a Mills Bomb ...

Stamped in large letters on the side of the case - 48 PSC

On the top edge of the base - No 36 M Mk1 (which I presume to the be type number and Mark) beneath which is the letter Z next to which are the letters AP and beneath these letters (still next to the letter Z) are the letters DP and on the bottom edge of the base (bottom left hand corner are the letters TA&S and in the bottom right hand corner the numbers 40.

On the plug on the side a broad arrow mark with 29 beneath it and next to that the letter Z beneath which are the letters WD and beneath these the letter C.

Any help would be much appreciated - Thank you.

A picture paints a thousand words but this sounds like a WW2 No.36M Mk 1 grenade manufactured by Thomas Adshead & Sons in 1940. - SW

Many thanks guys - Very helpful replies

• 2 months later...

You may find the thread I just started in miscellaneous of interest. I have posted images of a grenade training and tactics notebook that belonged to my Grandad.

regards

Mike

Thanks Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Can confirm you have a WW2 Mills 36 made by the Parkingson Stove Co Ltd. The 48 is the cast number. Baseplug looks to be 1940 dated.

John