Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What kind of shell is this?

stoj22

Fired shrapnel shell body ? There is typical driving band(s) at the base, but the driving band near the nose is unusual, may identify shell as German. What are the dimensions ? And where was it found ?

This is relatively unusual - not a standard shrapnel shell. I have a few paper knives made with these very thin copper drive bands, but never actually seen what they came from until now!

Just remains for someone who knows to enlighten us all...!!

James

Thanks everybody,

the size of them (there were two) drew my attention as the are much bigger than other shrapnel shells I've seen (probably make a good umberella stand).

They were near the British Front Line at Noreuil.

Steve. :thumbsup:

According to a thread at BOCN it was used by the obsolete 15 cm Ringkanone, not the 5.9 howitzer. See http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/78760-15cm-howitzer and

http://www.lovettartillery.com/MAT_15cm_Ringkanone_Detail.htm : shell at bottom of page.

The shell does appear much shorter than later shells : would this have been the reason for the forward driving band, to steady it in the barrel ?

However : these refs and the IWM photo show a broad forward driving band while our boy shows a narrow one. Economy measure ? But size agrees with "much bigger than other shrapnel shells I've seen (probably make a good umberella stand)".

I'll be back in the area next month, I'll measure the casing if it's still there. :thumbsup:

Steve.