Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

buxton, derbyshire

lynne and john

Hello everyone, I have just joined today as together with my husband we are researching the family history on both sides.

I have a photo (the only one) of my paternal grandad, Thomas Arthur Gilman who was born in 1900. The photo has him in uniform of some kind - he looks so young. He would have been 18 in 1918, so after the war had ended. Did he tell porkies about his age and joined up at a younger age? Did he join up and become surplus to requirements, or work as part of the Home Defence? I would love to know what would have been happening around that time to him and others to be in uniform.

He lived in Buxton, Derbyshire, and the local regiment was the Sherwood Foresters. I can find no record of him in the military records.

Really hope someone out there can point me in right direction. Many thanks.

Welcome to the forum Lynne&John

Best to post the photo if possible - images need to be 250 kb or below to post on the forum and crop and enlarge any visible insignia

Jon

I agree that he doesnt obviously appear on the Medal Index Card records, which would tend to confirm that he did not serve overseas during the war. That said, as he was 18 in 1918, he would have been eligible for conscription that year, hence his appearance in uniform.

I assume he was the chap who died in 1928, in the Chapel-en-le-Frith area, aged 27.

It would be very helpful if you were able to scan and post the photo on the forum (note that you may have to re-size the photo to make sure that it is not too big) - maybe it will help to show which regiment he was in - late in the war men were sent to all sorts of regiments, not necessarily their local one. A quick look at Ancestry shows a Private Thomas William Gilman in the Sherwood Foresters, but clearly that is the wrong middle name. There is a Thomas Gilman in the Royal Field Artillery - perhaps that is him? I feel the photo may hold the key.

Of course, if he didn't serve abroad then there won't be a medal index card, and since he was born in 1900 he may have been in training in 1918, but the war had ended by the time he was old enough to go to the front (theoretically at least, a man could join up at 18, but had to be 19 to serve abroad.)

William

Edit: all three of us posted within a few seconds of each other, but we seem to be in general agreement :thumbsup: !

Yes, he died following an accident in 1928, the year my dad was born, so you have the correct Thomas. Unfortunately I need to find out now how to resize the photo I have for you to see. Will come back soon as I can.

Well here it is, and I am still not sure how I managed it!

I am afraid there is nothing much to go at - no hat, badges or anything, but it may give you an idea. Many thanks!

post-107509-0-12659600-1393575625_thumb.

Hello Lynne and John, I think I can help you out here if he was the son of Mr and Mrs T Gilman of 64, Kings Road, Fairfield, Buxton, Derbyshire, if so you can pm me your email address and I will try to fill in your missing details and point you in the right direction. I'm afraid you won't find him on the Medal Index Card (MID). Regards, BRONNO.

PM received and returned good luck with the rest of your research. BRONNO. :thumbsup: