Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

badge/crest on a dress bayonet?

sawdoc34

Hello chaps,

anyone got any idea of what this badge/crest is?

Cheers,

Aleck

20140226_1315041.jpg

Nice looking piece! A KS 84/98?

I'd go for Wilhelm II of Prussia -'Wilhelm Rex Prussia'. There's a 'II' at the bottom

Lubbe has the following which are all broadly similar to yours: pp.132-133, a 84/98 with a horn handle and monogram badge with a Roman 'II' at the bottom, which he says is a monogram for WRII for Wilhelm II; pp.182-183, a non-fixable KS 98 with fancy eagle pommel, and chequered handle with monogram badge with a Roman 'II' at the bottom, he says is a monogram for WRII for Wilhelm II; pp.192-193, another but fixable KS 98 with chequered handle with monogram badge with a Roman 'II' at the bottom, he says is a monogram for WRII for Wilhelm II

Trajan

sawdoc34,

Trajan is, of course, correct.

However, the monograms were used on the shoulder straps of certain German infantry regiments. Looking at "The German Army Handbook 1918" there is a fold-out section titled: "Titular Monograms on the Shoulder Straps of certain German Infantry Regiments". That shows a similar, but not quite identical, monogram to that on your bayonet as used by Gren. Reg. 7. My guess is that perhaps your bayonet, which is a privately purchased item, has the owner's regimental monogram fixed to it.

Regards,

Michael.

V

My guess is that perhaps your bayonet, which is a privately purchased item, has the owner's regimental monogram fixed to it....Michael.

Very good point! But there is only one that I know off which is certainly a regimental badge (and I don't know a lot!). Lubbe pp. 222-223, is a 98/05 n.A.S with an AV monogram badge, which he says is the 86th Fusilier Regiment Auguste Victoria, a WWI regiment - but the badge is on a bayonet used by a WWI soldier who went on to serve with the Reichswehr.

BTW, Carter volume 1 p. 47 has a period photograph of Friedrich Franz IV inspecting troops with an officer nearby wearing a 98/05 with a monogrammed badge on the grip which Carter notes as an 'indistinct regimental badge'. In theory this photograph should be post 1915, which is I think (off-hand) when officers junked swords in trenches for bayonets.

Found one more example in Carter vol 2, p. 158 - an S 1914 with staghorn grips, and a Wilhelm II monogram. The photograph in Carter volume 1, referred to above, is not clear enough to say what the monogram is, but it does seem to have the same curls as the Wilhelm II examples.

Thanks for the info chaps,

here is the rest of it, not too bad condition overall but has lost a small piece of the wooden grip,

Cheers,

Aleck

20140228_1547071.jpg

20140228_1547201.jpg

20140228_1547201.jpg

20140228_1548091.jpg

20140228_1548201.jpg

As is usual, Aleck, a nice bayonet - AND I AM NOT AT ALL JEALOUS! :angry2:

OK, so a nice Coppel Solingen marked job, dress bayonet (does the catch work?), and no spine markings?

The grips may be bakelite: I have a WWI KS 98 with Weimar or 3rd Reich replaced chequered grips which look more like bakelite.

Julian

Rats, can't find my Lubbe, and there are 4 of those monsters called kids in the house, 2 mine and 2 strangers (I do NOT advise late fatherhood to anyone!)... But, that narrow fuller = looks more like what is shown in a Coppel advert for Extrawaffe in the Weimar or Reich period - Wheeler, Seitengewehr p. 102.

BUT, a nice WWI monogram...

And still not jealous at what turns up your way compared to what I have to deal with... Honestly... :(

Julian,

alas no spine markings mate but the release catch works & grips look to be wood (will try to get a pick of where piece is missing later)

Also picked up this strange fighting type knife that appears to be made from a cut-down cruciform type blade (lebel?)with brass crossguard & wooden handle with (french?)badge on it

20140228_1544171.jpg

20140228_1544271.jpg

20140228_1545071.jpg

20140228_1544481.jpg

Aleck

Nasty looking job - but badge does look Froggie, and blade does look like a Lebel, but it looks like the German-type 20 degree angled point, suggesting converted from the ones they captured and then shortened?

Aleck,

Ignore that last post - yours would appear to be a poignard de fortune - see Michael Haselgrove's post on http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?s=6c06f5c0295d77d7f608154ef03c0e25&showtopic=207650

• 2 weeks later...

Just to keep the records updated, I have found a photograph of a S 1914 with horn grips and a FWR/II monogram badge attached to the grips.

Not WW1 but if this has stimulated anyones interest in engraved bayonets in general, be very wary, for example there are at the moment several WW2 doing the rounds engraved to the 5th SS Panzer Division Wiking. These were made for a dealer 30+ years ago.

Not WW1 but if this has stimulated anyones interest in engraved bayonets in general, be very wary, for example there are at the moment several WW2 doing the rounds engraved to the 5th SS Panzer Division Wiking. These were made for a dealer 30+ years ago.

Yes, IIRC correctly the guy bought a truck load of the plain ones, then had them engraved with this and other markings... And now, 30 years later, of course they have a patina, don't they? I avoid WWII stuff like the plague as it is a field so wide open to fakery...

Hey-ho, Found this monogram while searching for something else - the regimental badge of the Grenadier-Regiment König Friedrich Wilhelm II (1. Schlesisches) Nr.10. So you might want to compare this with those other ones!

post-69449-0-42728000-1395305321_thumb.j

Julian,

alas no spine markings mate but the release catch works & grips look to be wood (will try to get a pick of where piece is missing later)

Also picked up this strange fighting type knife that appears to be made from a cut-down cruciform type blade (lebel?)with brass crossguard & wooden handle with (french?)badge on it

20140228_1544171.jpg

20140228_1544271.jpg

20140228_1545071.jpg

20140228_1544481.jpg

Aleck

Using the first 15 cms of a Lebel bayonet this was a Poignard Coutrot No. 1 with a shortened and modified grip. The insignia is a standard French Army button which may also be found in steel or aluminium. Others will be found which use different sections of the Lebel bayonet. The 'G.P.' in a rectangle is the mark of the maker, Georges Page, coutelier who provided them at 1.10 F. Cheron, Vogt et Cie also produced these daggers. They were originally issued in leather scabbards with a belt loop and hilt retaining strap. The first mention of them appears in about October 1915. Cheers - SW

Wow! That's a nice bit of data you've supplied there! It really is a nasty close-up thrusting weapon, though! And I bet M.Georges Page did well out of making them - depending, of course, what fraction of a day's pay was represented by 1.10 Franc!