Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Interesting trio

DCLI

I have just seen an interesting trio being sold by a dealer on the interenet.

The recipient received a 1914 Star Bar Trio, then from February 1915 was sentenced to four years penal sevitude. Any ideas what might produce a sentence like this?

Bearing in mind many men would have been 'happy' to lose a leg or arm to get out of it, I think four years in the clink, albeit a military jail, was relatively easy - he says sitting comfortably at home.

Was there a chance of his medals being rescinded, or was this only for gallantry medals?

Interesting though.

regards

Guest Russell.Gore@crawley.gov.uk

What a bad lad he was,if you give me his details i can check my list and see what he did to get 4 years,re the Medals,i have only seen forfitures on medals awarded to SADS,Cheers Russell.

He was 10167 Pte. W.H. Johnson, 9th Lancers

What's a SAD?

regards

DCLI,

SAD is Shot At Dawn. They weren't awarded any medals or entitled to Memorial Plaques.

Desertion would also lead to the foreiture of medals. This could be quite a broad description though ~ missing your train taking you back to the front from home leave, or not reporting back in time for any number of reasons could have been construed as desertion. I have seen many notifications in medal rolls where the medals were forfeited but restored at a later date, so for the majority of cases it would appear that the authorities wanted to make their point then relented.

Regards

Steve

I have a similar 1914 Star and bar trio, to D-3301 Pte.E.Palmer,2nd Dragoon Guards.

Palmer landed in France on 16 August,1914; on 7 November he was sentenced to one year penal servitude, which was subsequently commuted to imprisonment with hard labour. His star was forfeited, but later it was determined that it should not have been, and was re-issued in 1921. Whatever he had done didn't prevent him from still being in the regiment in 1921, as a corporal!

By the way, is penal servitude "harder" than imprisonment with hard labour?