Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Question about WWI postcards

kleenex-box

Hi all,

I just have a quick (and possibly stupid) question about postcards from WWI. I bought my first one recently and was wondering, if the card was sent during the war, was it necessarily sent from the front that the picture is of?

I attached images of the card I bought, as an example.

Thank you for any help, and sorry if this is posted in the wrong spot!

post-102324-0-19427000-1393370568_thumb.

post-102324-0-86772300-1393370568_thumb.

Hi Kleenex, welcome to the forum. Can't help you with your research. I've got a few postcards as well. Have often wondered if they're even from a hundred years ago, seem like they're in shape much better then possible to expect.

Kriegsschauplatz translates as theatre of war so the card isn't claiming to be of anywhere specific but the description on the back might help tie it down a bit. I can't read it properly but it appears to begin Soldatensheim bei ??????? and it mentions Sachsen-Anhalt or Saxony to us Brits. That could give us an idea of the part of the Macedonian front it could be, which actually ran a very long way east-west. It might be worth your while to flag this thread up in the Salonika section of this website.

Keith

I wonder whether it was sent by a soldier on leave, then? Unless there's more than one, Google Maps places it north of Berlin, a very long way from Serbia!

Keith

Whilst I cannot comment directly on the example displayed.

My small British family "on service" collection seems to fall into two parts.

The first is the "personal" photo which seems to have been taken by the home local Newspaper for possible publication,negative left, copy taken from it, in a French photographers and taken home.

The second is the bought card.I have a pre-WW1 post card of "Albert(Somme),La basilque,La Vierge du haut du clocher".The message on the back "France 8/9/15 "This is a photo of the Statue on top of the Church"

George

Unfortunately I can't make out the handwriting to read it, but I might be able ask someone for help with that. I'm doing my master's degree on the Germans on the front, so I was hoping it and the other one I bought had come from there haha.

Thanks so much for your help, everyone, it's very much appreciated!

Unfortunately I can't make out the handwriting to read it, but I might be able ask someone for help with that. I'm doing my master's degree on the Germans on the front, so I was hoping it and the other one I bought had come from there haha.

Thanks so much for your help, everyone, it's very much appreciated!

That sounds pretty interesting to me (surprise, surprise!). Which front? I hope you'll keep us in the loop as things move along.

:thumbsup:

FYI, I was recently in touch with Peter Appelbaum about his two books on German Jewish Soldiers (one in print - "Loyalty Betrayed: Jewish Chaplains in the German Army During the First World War" and a second one on the cusp of being printed)...his works may be of interest to you.

-Daniel

^ On the Macedonian Front :) Thanks for the book title, I'd definitely like to read that at some point!

Soldatenheim der ländlichen Kreise Sachsen-Anhalt in Mazedonien
Convalescent home of the rural districts of Saxony-Anhalt in Macedonia

I don't know how these things were organised - maybe it means that the home was staffed by Red Cross ladies from rural districts of SA?

I've seen a couple of these cards before for sale on eBay and delcampe, and they were all sent from units in or around Prilep, so maybe that's where this home was.
But your particular card was sent from Basdorf-Groß Schönebeck, just north of Berlin, to Glindow an der Havel, just west of it. It's addressed to Frl. Hedwig Häberer, Chausseestr. 16A, although the greeting is to Hedwig and Frida, who must be sisters.

The message should be easily readable with a slightly higher-res scan, though it doesn't at first sight look to be very exciting. "Thanks for your letters," "I went to Potsdam on Sunday," that sort of thing...

Adrian

^ I can't believe you could read even that much of it lol. Thank you so much for your help!

• 5 years later...

Hi

I have a German military postcard dated 19 January 1918 with a "Deutsches Soldatenheim Nr. 106" cachet stamped on it. Is there a list of Soldatenheim numbers and where they were located? Appreciate any assistance.

Regards Murray