Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great War Luger

trenchtrotter

Toying with the idea of buying one of the above ( not the long barrelled type). Think I've done my homework re price and what to look for but any pointers / tips welcome. They are pricey so want to get it right. As in UK will be a deac.

Thanks

TT

DWM made most of the P.08 pistols in service whilst the state arsenal at Erfurt made them also. Erfurt pistols tend to have a rougher finish but are perfectly serviceable.

Ideally you want one with matching numbers although you will be lucky to find one with a matching magazine. All parts should be stamped with the last two digits of the serial number.

Magazines should have a wooden base, not aluminium which is WW2. Grips should be chequered wood also.

Apart from that you obviously want one in good external condition.

I hate to see these fine pistols deactivated. I have owned about half a dozen different P.08s over the years including an artillery LP08 with all the kit. All of them were "live" shooting pistols.

Regards

TonyE

Thanks Tony. One I have my eye on has all boxes ticked as per your comments. The parts that should have "strawing" have lost that pale colour but I believe this happens? All numbers match.

Re deac it's the only option for me.

TT

The 'light straw' is just a micron-thin oxide coating that verifies correct tempering. It was very often not present on Lugers used in pistol clubs when this was legal - but it's also pretty easy to fake - to the extent that if you see it on a Luger with much holster wear, it's probably not original, insofar as that's likely to matter.

Common breakages in severely-used examples are the tiny cast-steel half-loop under the extractor that holds it to the small crosspin in the breechblock, and sometimes the lugs in the bayonet-fitting of the striker spring guide. Bruises where the lugs on the rear toggle link have borne hard against the butt group are also a sign of hot loads.

Luger triggers are usually gruesome because of the number of angles they work through - mine had about four creepy stages, or three if you'd released it during the aiming process for whatever reason. :D

DWM quality, as far as I've seen, was usually more consistent than Erfurt's.

Regards,

MikB

Just to second what Mik says. Another sign of using "hot" ammo, particularly British Mark 2z, was chips out of the very thin rim of the rear toggle pin.

I appreciate your position re de-acts but it is still a shame.

Regards

TonyE

Thanks both much appreciated.

TT

Was yours something like this , Tony? This one was mine. The objects in front of the magazine are the dust cover and the spacer for use with the MP18. The box contained 16 rounds of 1917 dated ammunition. - SW

post-47661-0-24303300-1393411400_thumb.j

That's the beauty!

I paid £7 for the pistol in 1962 and later ten bob for the holster and stock etc. Believe it or not I was given the snail mag. and loading tool. I can even remember the serial number, 8664.

I sold it along with most of my other guns to raise the deposit on my first house.... and that cost me £7,000!

Cheers

Tony

This is what TrenchTrotter will be looking for. I bought this as a de-ac believe or not because I needed a display item. The chamber date is 1911, the earliest being 1910. It still has many of the features of the early civilian production models, such as no stock lug nor hold-open, and concealed serial numbers. It retains the straw finish on appropriate items and has all matching serial numbers, including the magazine. It is thought to be a souvenir captured at Guedecourt and is marked to the 7th Bavarian IR. The quality of the pre-War finish is still evident. - SW

post-47661-0-43492800-1393414072_thumb.j

Yes it really is very nice and as one of the 'transitional models' to the mass production '08 it is quite rare. I am surprised that it was seen fit to become a de-ac, but there it is. Here is my own choice for a Great War pistol, reliable and hard-hitting. - SW

post-47661-0-38011600-1393415094_thumb.j

SW,

All 3 of your photographs show superb examples, and your Artillery Luger set would be very hard to put together today.

thanks for sharing.

LF

SW

Nice items. Thanks. Yes the early one is nice. I have sourced one that looks good. Now des ion time. It's not cheap.

TT

• 1 month later...

I went for a 1917 example in the end. All matching nubers including magazine except for the plate behind the release lever for stripping the gun. Its a DWM example and has a 7549 e (I think its an e as its elongated). As DWM made about 60,000 in 1917 and the serial numbers went up to 9,999a, 9,999b, 9,999c etc I suppose if it is an e then it will be late 1917??

Its a nice one.

Thanks for the advise given.

TT

My artillery luger is also kind of de-activated

Can't see the top of the extractor - could there still be a round in there? :D

Regards,

MikB

Here is my all matching 1917 DWM with two matching magazines. The magazine with the + is the extra magazine issued with the pistol

post-71339-0-35737300-1396048131_thumb.jpost-71339-0-60344700-1396048142_thumb.j

Edited by cwbuff

Nice Luger. Is she live? Did not know about the extra mag. Can you post a piccie of the other side too?

Thanks

TT

Nice Luger. Is she live? Did not know about the extra mag. Can you post a piccie of the other side too?

Thanks

TT

Thanks. Yes it is fully functional, although I have never fired it and probably will not. Two matching magazines makes it exceptionally desirable and rare.

post-71339-0-34901800-1396122792_thumb.j

Thanks! She really is a cracker. Does the serial number have a prefix letter?

Very similar to mine in many respects other than mine is deac!

TT

No your example has less wear and more straw. Loved viewing. Thanks again for taking time to post.

TT

• 3 weeks later...

Like a previous poster, I too have a Commercial "Government Model" on Section 7(3), made in 1914.

And a 1915 DWM P08. There seems to be a quite a lot of live Lugers around at the momant and so its worth going for a Section 7(3) if you can get it.

I went for a 1917 example in the end. All matching nubers including magazine except for the plate behind the release lever for stripping the gun. Its a DWM example and has a 7549 e (I think its an e as its elongated). As DWM made about 60,000 in 1917 and the serial numbers went up to 9,999a, 9,999b, 9,999c etc I suppose if it is an e then it will be late 1917??

Its a nice one.

Thanks for the advise given.

TT

I guess this is not unit-marked? Unit markings were supposed to have ended by late 1916, and if this late 1917 example is not unit-marked, that ties up with other evidence.

Hi Trajan,

Correct no unit marks present.

TT

Here is my best Colt 1911 from the Great War.

post-71339-0-84153000-1397509734_thumb.j