Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Confusing Ox and Bucks medal card

tjp28blue

Hello,

Grateful if anyone can interpret the attached medal card for 2nd Lt Aubrey Barrington-Kennett. I know that he joined the Ox and Bucks light Infantry around the 27th September 1913 and landed at Bolougne 14th August 1914. I am trying to determine if he, in addition to the BW and V medals was also entitled to the 1914-15 Star. The medal card makes no mention of it, but does mention a clasp both in the column along 'Staff Book' and at the top in pencil. I understand that there was a clasp awarded for the 1914 Star but not for the 1914-15. Also in the box stamped on the card with columns headed Medal, Roll and Page, in the first column between the word Medal and Victory there is written O.B & R.J. Can anyone tell me what this means. Any interpretation of the other strange number sequences would also be much appreciated.

Regards,

TJP

post-101860-0-90015000-1393339207_thumb.

• Admin

As he died [of wounds] on 20th September 1914, [as noted on CWGC 'one of three brothers who fell'http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/578312/] his medals were applied for by his father.

The 1914 Star was sent out to the LT Col to the address shown against IV Issue Voucher 1539 dated 31st May 1919 then what is believed to be an administrative reference prefixed WS (which occurs four times on the card, and a fifth with a different number sequence speculatively the initials of the clerk.)

The Clasp and 'war medals' were sent out against a second IV dated 22/9/21

Essentially the medals were sent out registered post against an issue voucher and the signed for against receipt which was returned to the Record Office.

I believe the OB RJ is in fact Oxford and Bucks Light Infantry then Victory Medal Roll Officers 140 Page 117 and ditto for the BWM (as Chris has noted above the Rolls for the Star were compiled earlier and separately to those for the other two campaign medals).

The asterisk is cross referenced to the rank which looks like it may have been amended to 2/Lieut for the naming of the medal.

Then date entered theatre from the disembarkation returns 13 August 1914, i.e. landing with the 2nd Division.

The A and B seem rather 'dislocated' but I think A is the list of documents in black ink on the left, any or all of which would confirm A 'when decorations earned'

and B 'the Present situation' is on the same line as his date of death.

Ken